Chapter 14

Chapter 14

***

"No smirking, no snorting, no sighing."

"Am I allowed to inhale air in my lungs?"

"Only at an even pace, and not too loud."

He laughs. "Jesus, Mia I'm not a wild animal. I can sit in an hour of therapy without being a distraction."

It's been merely two hours since I've left my mom's apartment, during which I've driven around town, blasting Eminem, screaming my lungs off.

Highly therapeutic, I professionally recommend.

No way in hell was I going to let my issues interfere with the clients'. And absolutely no chance of Jake ever seeing me in a complete loss of control.

I already slipped up when we met outside the Therapy Center just five minutes ago, though I had mastered my best smile, the instant Jake's authentic, warm grin appeared in my vision, something in my facade faltered and he took notice.

So I've been trying to avoid the situation by nagging him about being quiet and so far it seems to be working.

He's seated on my left side, legs splayed by the bench and back leaned against the window, unfairly rugged and handsome, and totally oblivious of it.

"I can't believe you failed the midterm just to do this."

He shoots an innocent smile. "What can I say, I'm just fascinated by your work."

"I can't wait to hear all about it in your twenty page report."

"What?" His smile drops. "I really have to do that? But I failed on purpose."

I smirk. "Sounds like a personal problem."

"Wow." He shakes his head and looks down to pull out a notebook from his backpack along with a pen.

"No notes. It's an ethical code violation, didn't you read the syllabus?" I make a tsk sound and smile when he glares under his lashes.

We're interrupted by a soft knock on the door, and I shift in my white chair with determination. "Come in."

A fourteen-year-old slim figure walks in, skin translucent and brushed with freckles, auburn hair straight and long, draped in an oversized green sweater. I smile at Molly, my patient for the last six months.

Then in walks a tall blonde woman I've never met before, but unfortunately heard a lot about. Enough to know she's only here because Molly put her on the spot in front of her new husband and she couldn't say no without dropping the expensive veil of her narcissism.

~

"Natalie, what made you send that text message to Molly's boyfriend?" I ask the unapologetic woman who's lounging on the sofa across from me like she's being interviewed for a fashion magazine.

A chuckle. "What's the big deal? You make it sound like I'm flirting with my daughter's fourteen year old boyfriend. It was just an innocent joke."

"It wasn't to me." Molly fidgets with her hands, voice gentle. "It was humiliating, and it made him uncomfortable."

"Ugh, Molly I don't know where you get your melodramatic personality from? Why do you have to make my life so difficult all the time?"

I look at the bitch. "How about instead of making accusations, you show curiosity and seek to understand her point of view?"

Natalie exhales as if to brush me off her shoulder. When she doesn't make eye contact with Molly, I make sure to show her a supportive smile at least from my end.