Chapter 32

**

Chapter 32

***

My outfit of the night is a wine-colored satin dress with a waist-cinching bodice that gives my figure an hourglass silhouette. I'm standing outside in nude high heels, curled hair blowing in the breeze as Jake parks his car. My mouth parts when he gets out to greet me.

He's in a crisp, black suit that magnifies his angular lines and oozes with command. Coffee hair softly styled back, a few strands rebelling forward. Hazel eyes swirling in gold as they drink me in from head to toe.

"My God... how did I get so lucky," he murmurs before cupping my face to kiss me. He presses our foreheads together. "Do we have to go to this thing?"

"Eh. Birthdays happen every year. We should just go back inside." I smile.

"Just wait till I get you home..." he growls playfully, kissing me in between each word, "I'm going to... make you scream... so hard."

I pull away with a whiney moan, impatient to get the night over with.

He bites his lip at my pout, smug about his effects on me, then opens the car door for me, groaning when I turn to get in.

~

There's something so arousing about strong hands, rimmed with suit sleeves, gripping a steering wheel...

Olive skin dotted with dark hair... a silver watch wrapped around a thick wrist.

Veins.

I look up to his amused gaze and blush. "So...how many people should I expect to meet today?"

"Just a couple. Her boyfriend and two best friends. He'll probably bring a few people too."

"What are their names?"

"John, Tina, Ani, Michael, and Lilit."

"Well which is which? And how old are they?"

"Can you just wait? You're not going for an interview."

"I don't do well with candid interactions, I even brought weed with me."

"Weed?" He raises his eyebrows. "You're going to get high in an Armenian banquet hall?"

"In the bathroom stall." I smirk. "You can join me."

"Jesus Christ..." He smiles. "You're trouble."

"Glad you're finally catching up." I sigh, looking at the traffic ahead. "I suck at social events..."

He reaches to take my hand and brings it to his lips. "I got you, alright? We're in this together."

I bite the inside of my cheek, forcing myself to smile back. He has no idea what he's in for.

Something in him seems to come to a decision and he gestures forward. "Grab the box under your seat."

I let go of his hand to pick up the item he's talking about and place a small, indigo box with an intricate silver logo on my lap.

"Is this Naomi's gift?" I ask.

"It's for you."

"Me?"

"Open it."

I do as he says and find a silver bracelet with a crystal compass inside, resting on a black velvet padding. The delicate design sparkles in the dark.

"When I saw it, I thought of you," he murmurs.

"Why... you didn't have to..." I mumble, looking at the jewelry.