Chapter 31

Chapter 31

***

"Cheers to Mia for breaking up with her mom!"

"Cheers to a new, healthy beginning!"

"Thanks guys." I smile at Anna and Zhoe as we clink our wine glasses. It's a Thursday evening at a hookah lounge, and we're in the middle of devouring a beef kebab while smoking spiced chai tobacco. An adorable, elderly guitarist is playing in the corner.

"Can I just say how proud I am of you." Anna stares intensely, like she wants the words to stick. "I know it's been so difficult for you to finally do this, and now that you have, you're going to see how much better you feel."

"I already do," I admit. "When I was driving home, I was crying and laughing at the same time. It felt like a younger part of me was jumping up and down for finally being liberated."

"Do you think Jake has had an influence?" Zhoe asks, eyes glossed with intoxication. "Like, do you think being with him helped you realize how you deserve to be treated?"

"I suppose...yeah..." I mumble and look away.

Anna waves her finger around my face. "What is that? What's going on in your head right now?"

I shrug. "I just don't like the idea of passing my dependence down from my mom to him."

Zhoe's sleek eyebrows scrunch. "You're not, though. What you have with him is healthy. What you had with your mom, wasn't."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I just... it's difficult to not be afraid of it."

"But you're making progress, right?" Anna gently smiles. "And if you have any doubts, you just need to talk to us. Don't get lost inside your own head, ok?"

My phone vibrates on the table with Jake's name, skyrocketing my heart with sudden energy. Anna and Zhoe smirk at my reaction as I answer.

"Yes?"

"Hey, beautiful." His silky, masculine voice caresses me.

A stupid grin invades my face. "Hi..."

"I know you're out with the girls," he says, "but I wanted to ask if you have plans tomorrow night."

"Um...I have three therapy sessions, then a video call with Kayden and his lawyer. Why?"

"Alright, how about I make us dinner at my place while you work?"

"What are you making?"

I hear the smile in his voice. "Don't worry about it. Just be ready at six, I'll come pick you up."

"Why? I'll just drive there myself."

"I'll come get you, don't worry."

"But, why?"

"Because," he chastises with amusement, "you're my woman, and I want to pick you up."

I roll my eyes with a smile. "You're so annoying..."

Anna and Zhoe raise their eyebrows and lean closer.

"Yes, but I'm your annoying."

"Alright..." I chuckle. "I've got to go."

"Tell them I said hi."

"I will."

"And hey..."

"Yeah?"

"Behave."

I bite my lip and hang up, then look up to two pairs of intrusive eyes.

"You are so whipped," Anna sings.