Chapter 37

Chapter 37

***

The wind tousles Jake's hair, teasing his inky locks as he stays still. Hazel eyes pull me in, captivating with long, silk lashes that slowly lower and lift. His teeth hold his lower lip, hiding a crooked amusement. I bite the inside of my cheek, fighting my own.

"Okay guys, maybe take your eye fucking somewhere else?" Anna snaps us out of our trance.

Yeah, we should probably get out of the school parking lot.

I blush, breaking eye contact. "How'd you get here with your arm like that?"

Jake looks at Anna. "She picked me up and then helped me set up."

Anna nods. "So now, I'm guessing you'll go with Mia?"

He looks at me, waiting for a reply. Images of the last time we were in a car together muddle my mood, and he notices. "Or I can Uber."

"Sorry..." I grimace, scraping my nail against the pad of my thumb, "I'm just scared, and I don't want to risk it."

"How about I take you both?" Anna glances between us, "I'll drive your car to wherever you guys are going...your place or his, then I'll Uber back to pick up my car."

"I'll pay for your Uber," Jake offers.

"How about you drop Jake off at his place," I say, "and I'll go to mine."

Their faces drop, causing my eyes to widen. "No, no! That's not what I mean. I just need to grab some stuff, then I'll come over to your place." I look at Jake.

He tilts his head, eyes narrowed. "Do you have to finish up some work?"

I smirk, turning to get in my car. "No, I'm just going to pack an overnight bag."

"Oh." He smiles.

I roll down my window, raising an eyebrow at him. "Do you have a problem with that?"

He shares an amused glance with Anna, who lifts her hands defensively. "Don't look at me, you signed up for this!"

I chuckle and pull out of the parking lot, smiling the whole ride home.

~

"Jesus, did you move out of state or do you drive five miles an hour now?" Jake teases when he opens the door.

I glare. "Impatient much?"

Okay, I did take two hours to get here. Only because I went through a meticulous grooming ritual — exfoliating, shaving, moisturizing. Transformed from a furry crackhead to a baby soft diva. My apartment was left looking like a bomb had exploded, but at least I look put together now.

He takes the black traveling bag from my hand, despite my protests, and closes the door behind us. He's still wearing his earlier clothes — black denim jeans with a matching cotton shirt.

His kitchen and living room are surprisingly neat. I wonder bitterly if it's because of Naomi...I hope not. The thought of her or his mom being here everyday bothers me for some reason.

"You know, you still haven't kissed me." He brings me out of my thoughts, setting my bag down on the bar stool and turning to me, two feet away.

My heart thumps with nerves and I blush. "I thought we should talk first."

He stays quiet for a moment, and I reluctantly peek at him. The masculine sternness oozing, despite his broken arm, quickens my pulse.

"Fine." His answer is calm, though there's a sliver of exasperation. "What do you want to eat?"