Chapter 6

***

Chapter 6

***

It's raining after office hours as I head to the campus bakery to meet my lover, caffeine.

Someone named Mark is coming shortly to finally take the ugly rosewood desk. Then I get to spend the evening assembling the new one.

You know you're officially adulting when the thought of new furniture makes you want to skip in the rain.

I push the door open with my elbow, welcomed by aromas of chocolate and coffee beans. Floor length windows nestle with couches and tables, where students study in oversized hoodies, unwashed hair, and existential crisis.

A disappointing line of coffee addicts stretch across the small space. I sigh and walk to the end of the line.

My eyes soak in the environment. Strangers living their own lives., their faces riddled with freckles and wrinkles.

In the corner, a man in all black is reading a textbook, head shoved so deep, he might as well be motor-boating it.

Although his face is covered, every detail about him intrigues me.The way his fingers grip the edges of the book. The way his black curls connect like hills on top of his head. The way his spread legs exude dominance. Util he sets the book down to check his phone and⁠—

Of course I'm checking out Jake. Why is this guy everywhere? Good thing he can't see me. God, I'm looking away now. He's not even that cute.

Look away...

Today would be nice...

I hate myself.

"MA'AM, are you going to order today?" The barista snaps in my left ear, waking me up.

I blush. "Sorry, can I please get a small hazelnut latte with oat milk?"

"Grande, venti, trenta?"

"Small."

"One demi hazelnut latte with oat milk, your total is $5.65" She repeats flatly.

"Overpriced gibberish bullshit..." I mumble and reach inside my bag. "Ah fuck, I left my wallet in my office."

"Excuse me." A now familiar husky voice spills over my shoulder. "I got it."

"Don't." I plead but the credit card is already being swiped. I glare at Jake under my lashes. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Buying coffee for my favorite professor." He flashes an innocent smile. "I'm a good student."

I scoff as we move to the bar area. He stands in front of me with his hands in his pockets, hair messy from the rain, veins in forearms protruded.

"I have questions about class, Professor," he asks with amusement.

"Office hours are over, student." I roll my eyes.

"But it needs to be after office hours, otherwise how are you going to hide the huge crush you have on me?" He smiles playfully.

My coffee gets placed on the counter. I snatch it and head out the door. I glare at the cup, wondering if I should throw it away.

"You know we're stuck together for ten weeks right? Unless you plan to run from your job." Jake appears beside me. It's gloomy and cold, but this guy radiates sunshine and rainbows.

"Fine," I spit out. "But I swear it better be a real question."

I sneak a glance and instantly regret it. Jake under the rain with wet biceps, holding a leather jacket over his head is illegally hot.