Chapter 27

***

Chapter 27

Last night, I found out that Jake wakes up at 6 AM Monday through Saturday to go to work. Sometimes he skips lunch, because he doesn't have time. And sometimes he runs late to class, so he doesn't eat until he gets home.

And for some reason, that really annoys me.

It's bad enough his job is physically taxing, but to not even make time for food? What could be more important than health? He's going to develop digestive problems if he keeps that up.

So I — a professional who cares about the well-being of fellow humans, a health fanatic, and an advocate of work-life balance — did something stupid.

That's why when he stops by my office before class — as I had asked — I greet him with a grumpy mood.

"Uh...are you ok?" He smiles by the door when I glower from my seat.

I cross my arms and point my chin to close the door. He tries to suppress his excitement, but the corners of his lips pull up and there's a dark glimmer in his eyes.

"That's not why you pervert."

"Oh." His smile falls. "Then what do you want?"

I bend down to grab the... object of my humiliation and set it on the desk.

Jake looks at it then back at me, gaze curious. "What's that?"

"A lunch bag."

He chuckles. "You got me a lunch bag?"

I nod and avert my eyes. He goes to pick it up, then stops. "Oh, it's filled already?" He wraps his fingers around the black zipper and pulls it open.

Heat breaks across my face. "You really shouldn't go all day without eating."

"I told you I don't have time..." he murmurs, grinning like a kid opening a Christmas present. I frown and squirm as he rummages through. "Did you get me... bone broth?"

"Yeah. You skip meals, so your digestion is probably shit. And you work under damaging weather, so your skin will sag and you'll look fifty by the time you're thirty. Bone broth is full of calcium, protein, collagen, and amino acids that help with all that."

"You're telling me, you expect me to sip on cold chicken juice?"

"Do you want the benefits or not?"

He shakes his head, then looks inside the bag again. He sets the items down on the desk one by one. And the more he smiles, the angrier I get.

"Bananas help with blood pressure... peanut butter's full of healthy fats... and the shrimp spring roll was the freshest thing at Whole Foods."

"Aw, and here I thought I'll get to try your cooking." He clicks his tongue, putting everything back in the bag. His movements are careful and gentle, like he's handling a prized possession.

"I don't cook."

He looks at me for a moment, eyes hooded with tenderness. "You're cute, you know that?"

I glare in response, but he smirks and leans down to kiss me. "Thank you, this was really sweet."

"Get out." I blush.

He grabs the lunch bag, gives me a wink, then heads for the door. I bite my lip to hide my smile and try not to stare at his butt in those black jeans. Then my eyes bulge, because Kayden appears when Jake opens the door.

Fuck.

"Uh, hi." He blinks at Jake, eyes slightly wide.

Jake nods politely and walks out, Kayden stares after him before turning away and walking hastily inside. My elbows press on my sides and I stay rooted in my seat, waiting for his reaction.