Black History Celebration

Today was the day we celebrated Black History Month. Everybody was ready to either perform or watch us perform. I was ready to dance, speak, and act in front of everybody. I had gotten everything settled on my end.

The step, the dance, the character, and the lines were all memorized. I know I had a lot of things to do but I was able to work it out with my teachers. I even had gotten the volunteers off my back. They had all agreed they were going to make their own step in a short amount of time.

I was glad when they laid off a little. If they do better than me and my group then I don't mind shaking their hands. As rude as they were to me I can't hold that grudge against them. Plus I might like what they have planned.

I was about to go on stage with the speaker once everybody was settled. The people that were performing had gone all out with the effects and costumes. I had a way of getting dress very quickly for each performance I was going to do. My first one was going to be the step, the dance with Olivia, then with Austin, and to close it off the play.

One of the members from the A.F.R.O Association Club was fixing the speaker for me. I had to have something pinned to my clothes so it would be easier for me to talk on stage. I rather have the microphone so that way I can just put it down and go change, but I had to have a little one attached to me.

The girl that was attaching it to me seemed like she didn't want to do it. I'm not sure if she was having a bad day or if she was just irritated. Now that I look at the girl I don't think I've seen her around here before. She was an inch shorter than me, with light brown skin, dark brown eyes, she had a toned body, deep curly hair, and glasses.

"Okay all done," she said finishing up the last touches. "Thank you!" I said fixing my outfit. "Umm no problem and good luck," she said a bit unsure. I went out on stage and I could hear people talking until they saw me in the middle. "Shhh!" I said into the speaker as I heard some people giggling.

"Welcome to our first Black History performance, we have our students who were nice enough to come to perform for you guys. First, we will welcome the King of Pop, MJ!" I spoke before leaving the stage. I know that was short but that's what the teachers told me to do. We have limited time to give a long speech, so we have to keep it under 30 seconds they say.

The lights had gone off and then the music started playing. It sounded like Billie Jean that was playing. The question was who was going to be dancing to it? Huey said something about Riley and Ceasar's songs of choice.

When one of the lights came on it was focused on Riley, who had on a white shirt, sparkly jacket, gloves, tap shoes, and the hat. He actually was dressed like Micheal Jackson. The only thing he was missing was the hairstyle. All of a sudden another one of the lights came on to focus on Ceasar. He was wearing the same thing Riley was wearing.

I guess Huey wasn't kidding when he said he'll assign them to the same song. Ceasar and Riley just looked at each other confused at one point until they started taking turns dancing. It's like they were trying to outdo each other. The audience seems like they were enjoying the little competition they both had.

Their dancing couldn't top the king himself, but they were still doing good. People behind the stage were even moving to the beat. Some of the boys and girls varsity basketball players had come up behind me with one basketball. Cindy was in the front along with Austin who was silently laughing at Riley and Ceasar.

"Me and Jazmine's are gonna be better," I heard him say to Cindy. I forgot to mention, Austin and I are also doing a Michael Jackson dance as well. Unlike Ceasar and Riley, we were the only ones that picked one of the songs they didn't pick, which seemed to require a partner. We're going to be performing 'The Way You Make Me Feel' which shouldn't be hard. We had to keep the dance short since we are on limited time.