First Date

Tonight Huey was coming over for our first date. He didn't want to go anywhere out to eat because they had unhealthy options. We had looked at the menus of what he liked online before going. He didn't like any of the menu options and he said he wasn't going to eat a salad like he does every time. I told him we could just have dinner at my house since I make a lot of vegan meals during my free time.

He couldn't argue that down because he knew I cooked vegan meals. He saw me do it a couple of times when he came to my house. Plus my parents won't be home, so they can't see me and Huey on a date. If they were here everything would be awkward. Both of my parents would be fangirling over me and him. So it was good that they both had to work late tonight.

I didn't have on anything spectacular except for this cute apron that had my name spelled out in curvy letters. I wasn't going to put on anything cute yet because Huey was going to help me make the food. I don't know if it was because he was being helpful or because he didn't fully trust me to make his food.

I heard the doorbell ring and I had smiled because I knew it was Huey. I skipped to the door like a little girl getting all excited. I took a deep breath to calm myself down and answer the door. When I saw Huey, he was dressed in nice casual attire. I looked in his hands to see he had some pink roses in his hands. "Hi Huey, you look nice!" I smiled trying to keep my squeals down. "Hey Jazmine...umm these are for you!" he slightly waved and then he nervously gave me the flowers. I brought them close to my nose so I could smell them. They smelt good as always.

"Awe you remembered, I didn't think you paid attention to some of the stuff I told you," I felt my face heat up. "I listen even if it's just nonsense," he said. "Okay! Well, I pulled out some of the ingredients for what we are going to be making," I said pointing at the kitchen. I walked back to the kitchen to go get him an apron for him to wear so he wouldn't get his clothes dirty. It was my dad's apron, but he only wore it on special occasions. For instance, it's usually on his and my mom's anniversary.

I held out the apron and he looked at me funny. "I'm not wearing that," he shook his head. "Why not?" I was confused. "Read what it says," I looked at it to see it says 'Daddy'. "Okay, what's the problem?" I was confused. "Just wear it so you won't get your clothes dirty," I simply said. I tossed him the apron and said "Now get to work Daddy!" I clapped my hands. "Please don't say, Daddy," he said looking uncomfortable. I was still confused and I guess he had noticed that. "You're giving me mixed signals by saying it. And I beg of you to not tease me tonight," he simply said.

I didn't know why he was so uncomfortable, but I wasn't going to argue with it. "Ok, I wasn't planning on calling you that, but sorry to make you uncomfortable," I told him. He slowly had put the apron on while I pulled out an avocado peeler/cutter. "So what am I going to be doing?" he asked me. "You're going to be peeling/cutting these avocados," I said holding up the material. "You know how to use this?" I asked as he shook his head. "Ok this is how you do it," I said grabbing an avocado. "First you're going to evenly cut it open, take the seed out, and then you slide the cutter across inside," I showed him.

I handed him avocado and he slowly started to cut it open. This was a surprise to me because Huey usually never needs help with anything. "So what are we exactly making?" he simply asked taking the seed out of the avocado. "We are going to be making Blackened Tempeh with Avocado with kale and vegan cajun ranch. Have you ever had that?" I asked him. "No, I haven't tried it, but it sounds good," he said.

"Yeah it is, but while we're preparing the food, what do you want to talk about?" I smiled at him. "Umm how was your day today?" he thought about it. "It was alright, nothing special if you want me to be honest. What about you?" I had then looked at him. "Other than Riley and Grandad yelling at each other, Ruckus being races, Riley acting like he and Cindy are grown, Ceasar and I talking about political stuff, and Hiro testing out some new beats," he told me. "Sounds like a lot, you know I always wondered if Ruckus knew that he was African American too," I thought about it.