New Life (Epilogue)

So I made my mind up real quick and decided this would be the last chapter. I'm posting it now because I will probably forget if i don't. I hope you....like it...

It's not really your typical ending. Sorry.

___________________________________________________________________________

He stared at the ring, a small frown, or smile, was splayed across his face. It was a simple band with the phrase ‘Heart Over Mind’ engraved on the inside.

“Jake, honey, we’re going to be late!” A silky voice called out from the kitchen. He thought about his wife; blonde hair, blue eyes, everything he wanted, just not enough.

A tall woman, his wife, walked out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel. The faint smell of brownies wafted to him, he smiled. He stood up, embracing her and planting a small, loved-filled kiss on her cheek. He loved her, but something was missing, he just didn’t know what.

The two of them climbed into the car, followed by a little girl around the age of five.

The car ride was tense, yet when Jake’s wife looked at him, it was filled with love and sympathy. He needed that. They parked quickly and exited the car. The three of them approached the kissing gate. Jake paused momentarily, afraid of this place he was going. His wife gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. With renewed confidence, they entered the area behind the gates, holding his daughter’s hand.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jake kept his head bent, studying the pairs of shoes around him. He listened as the green-eyed man expressed his love and care to everyone around him, in an appraisal to the girl, the woman, buried under the earth.

Now it was his turn to speak. For a second he was silent. He stared mournfully, no, longingly, at the gravestone. He read it over and over again.

Ariella Harrow

March 14, 2000 – January 9, 2018

May her spirit live fruitfully in the after life.

R.I.P

Memories flashed through his head; the forest floor, the nights at her house. He remembered her body lying at horrible angles in the grass, covered in blood. He remembered running to Callum’s building, watching her collapse, the car crash. He recalled hearing about her taken to the Glasberger Institute. Lunging at Victoria and attacking her. He remembered Ariella on the rooftop, strangling herself, then that horrible moment when she flung herself off the building.

Jake forcefully stopped his thoughts. He was angry at her. Why did she jump? Didn’t she know how much he loved her? How much he cared about her? And there she went, throwing her life away. Jake had wanted to help her so badly, he had helped her escape the institute and her way of thanking him was to go jump off a building? No, she didn’t deserve to die like that, but it was her choice.

He squared his shoulders and put his heart into his eulogy, speaking out loud for the assembled to hear.

“Ariella was a great girl, woman. Since high school she had a spark about her that kept everyone around her happy. She was my first and last love. Despite her mental illness, she was amazing. No matter what, she’ll always be in our hearts, and I’ll love her wholeheartedly.”

Jake glanced uneasily at his wife as he said this last line. His wife, Leanne, was an almost exact replica of the woman buried under the earth. She gave him a small smile, one that showed she understood. His shoulders sagged with relief.

The rest of the assembled, one by one, gave their speeches sincere thoughts about Ariella to the rest.

They gathered around the green-eyed man, Jeremy, to comfort him in his loss. Ariella had passed away seven years ago, on her birthday. Jeremy insisted on revisiting her grave every few years with all of her friends.

Jake and his small family head in Jeremy’s direction.

“Hey, man,” Jake greeted, shaking Jeremy’s hand. Jeremy planted a kiss on Leanne’s cheek and ruffled little Ariella’s hair. “How are you Jeremy? How’s the job?”

“Not bad, the doctors have been giving me some shit about not injecting ammonia into people. I mean, what do they think I’m going to do? Kill someone out of depression? I didn’t even know they stored ammonia at the hospital.”

Jake and Jeremy laughed together, relaxing a little.

“So, Ariella,” Jeremy said, turning to her. “How do you like school? Made some friends?”

The little girl nodded eagerly. “There’s this girl, she’s my friend, and her name is Jane. She’s so nice. We’re best friends. We do everything together. She comes to my house a lot. You should come too, Jeremy!”

Jeremy smiled and patted her hair. “Of course I will. How about I come over tomorrow, huh?”

Ariella clapped in excitement.

“Is that okay with your mom?” he asked, looking at Leanne.

“Of course!” she exclaimed.

“I’ll be right back,” Jake said, noticing a familiar man. He walked over with a purpose, feeling eyes watching him.

“Mr. Reese? Callum?” he called. The blonde man turned around. A grin broke across his face.

“What’s up Jake?” he smiled, clasping Jake’s hand.

“I wanted to ask you something, Callum.”

“Fire away!”

“How did you know Ariella?”

“I-Oh,” he frowned. “She never told you? Well of course she didn’t.”

Callum paused in thought then remembered he was talking to Jake.

“We were in the same orphanage. She was the only kid there that was remotely normal. I was pretty unsocial back then, and she was the one that pulled me out of it…sort of. She was my only friend, she was so cute and nice, I couldn’t say no to playing with her. And then one day, I just, I don’t know what came over me, but I ran away. I didn’t see her again until I started teaching at your school.”

Jake shook his hand, thanking Callum for telling his story. He returned to his wife who was talking with Dimitri.

“…come over sometime. Maybe tomorrow. We can have a reunion,” Leanne was saying.

“That’s a great idea,” Jake said, coming up behind his wife. He put his hands around his mouth and yelled, “Everybody! Reunion at my place tomorrow!”

The gathered started to chatter excitedly as they slowly left the cemetery. Jake chatted with Jasmine before gathering his wife and daughter.

Jake threw one last look at the gravestone, love and hurt building up inside of him. He wrapped his arm around Leanne’s waist and walked to his car.

Ariella was his past. Leanne and his daughter were his future. No matter what he would stick with them, take care of them.

But he knew that a part of his heart would always be buried beside her. He loved Ariella, and he always would.

Now he had to face his future.