The End of the Beginning

Alrighty, this is the last upload for today. This part is like the end of the beginning sort of thing. And i hope those of you who read this, are happy that i've uploaded like 5 chapters today because i realized how far behind the story was like 10 minutes ago. Anyways, this should make up for like months of no uploads so ENJOY!

Vote please? :] There's been a lack of votes or comments, i dont care, but i like feedback!

* * * *

The school day passes by in a blur and by this point it's already lunch. I was just stepping out of the line with a tray of food when suddenly I felt a vibration in my pocket.

I started, spilling water across my foam tray. The buzzing continues and then stops. It starts again.

I pulled out the cell and stare at the number. It's unknown. I frowned.

"Who is this?" I asked as soon as I pick up.

"Callum. Listen do you have a moment? Well more like an hour?"

"How did you get my number?" I blurted. I was sure I had never given him my number.

"School record," he paused. Then he sounded desperate. "Do you have time?"

"I'm in lunch so yeah, I guess."

His tone increased in worry. "Alright well I really need a ride and-"

He was cut off by a loud booming noise in the background.

"Callum!" I yelled. A hand slapped over my mouth. Head's turned in my direction. I stuffed my phone back into my pocket and sprinted towards the doors, dumping my tray in the garbage.

I regretted the fact that I didn't drive today. If only I had my own car. I ran through the empty hallways, peering through the classroom windows.

I burst through the door of the third classroom. I spotted Jake in the back corner gaping at me.

"sorry, but I need to borrow Jake," I panted to the teacher.

"Do you have a pass?"

"Forget passes, this is an emergency. Hurry, Jake!"

Jake jumped up, knocking over his desk in the process. He rushed over to me and followed me out the building to the parking lot.

"Where's your car?"

As we were about to cross the road, another car came to a screeching halt opposite us. Through the windshield I saw Jeremy's concerned expression. He gestured wildly for the two of us to get in the car.

I flew into the passenger seat. "Have you heard from Callum?" he asked?

I nodded. "He called me and then suddenly got cut off."

Jeremy frowned. "He's not at school?" I shook my head. Jeremy drove towards Callum's house with speed.

A shrill scream escaped my lips as we came into view of Callum's apartment building. It was enveloped in flames. A fire truck was parked out front, firemen spilling out of the building with refugees. The rest of the firemen were attempting to douse the fire to no avail.

The three of us sprinted over to the refugees, searching for the familiar face. He wasn't here. I pulled out my cell phone and call his number frantically. The ringing went on and on but no one picked up.

"Is he picking up?" Jake asked. I shook my head. I took a few steps in the buildings direction. There was faint music coming from inside the building. I took another few steps closer. The music stopped just as I hung up.