Chapter 44: I Swear

Quietly, Ginny walked over towards Annabeth and kneeled down, placing a hand comfortingly on her shoulder.

Ginny didn't know what to say, but she had a feeling that words weren't needed.

~~~ 

Annabeth watched professors herd first and second years towards the train. 

She stared at the 11 and 12 year old students dragging trunks twice their size behind them.

Annabeth knew this was the smartest and safest option, heck, she was the one who suggested it, but there was a tiny, small, part of her that wished they stayed.

That tiny, small, part of her wished she had that choice when she was their age. 

To opt of out of a war she knew nothing about, go home to a family that loved her, and pretend it didn't exist.

Pretend that lives weren't at stake.

She knew it was selfish and stupid.

Annabeth also knew that as much as she wished that would happen, her hubris wouldn't have let her even think about not taking charge and making a difference.

She shook her head and began to walk back towards Hogwarts; hearing McGonagall call for anyone else who would like to leave. 

Annabeth saw more students board the train; primarily third and fourth years. A few fifth years. Some sixth. 

No seventh years boarded the train. 

Annabeth turned around and walked back into Hogwarts. 

~~~

"Psst, Annabeth."

Annabeth turned around to find a blond haired Slytherin. "What?"

Draco carefully stepped out from behind the pillar in the hall. He held out his hand, "Draco Malfoy."

Annabeth slowly nodded, but made no move to shake his hand. "I know who you are." Draco slowly let his arm fall. "What do you want, Draco?"

"I can't stay here long-"

"Worried someone'll catch you? Umbridge just left, and Snape ditched a few days ago so you don't need to worry about them... but then again, they never caused any problems for you so, what do I know."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Look- it's- it's difficult to explain. Point is," Draco took a deep breath, hanging his head. "Point is," He began, "is that something's wrong with Percy."

Annabeth's eyes widened in horror, before she realized who she was talking to. Annabeth narrowed her eyes at Draco. "What do you mean 'something's wrong'? Why do you care?"

"Believe it or not, Percy and I are friends. And I assume he's told you that he's a death eater which means that the two of us are basically family." 

Annabeth cleared her throat, "Right. Yeah, yeah he's told me."

Draco nodded. "Good."

"What do you mean something's wrong with him? Is he okay? How do you know?" Annabeth fired off questions. 

"I heard my father talking to Snape about it. I couldn't make everything out, but I heard something about how some lady would be pleased to hear Percy's not well, and how it would give Voldemort an upper hand in the war- Percy being his grandson and all."

Annabeth stared at Draco, gears turning in her head. "Wait... what lady? Is- is Voldemort working with someone else now? Cause last I checked, he was flying solo with about a hundred person posse."

"I don't know. I've never heard of her until now. But apparently she has this big thing against Percy."

"Did you catch her name?" Annabeth asked.

Draco shook his head. Annabeth cursed.

"Do you know what's wrong with him?" Annabeth asked.

"Something about his powers not working."

Annabeth stared at Draco... did he know that Percy was a demigod? There's no way Percy would have told him. Hence, Percy being a death eater, which obviously wasn't true. "His wizard powers?" Annabeth clarified.

Draco narrowed his eyes. "Wait- do- do you not know...?" He whispered. 

Annabeth narrowed her eyes back. "Do you know...?"

"That Percy's a demigod?" Draco finished.

"Yes I know!" Annabeth whispered harshly. "How do you know?" 

"Snape told me."

Annabeth swore again. "Do you know who his dad is?" Draco shook his head. "Good. We're keeping it that way."

"Why?"

"Because."

"Because why-"

"Because the amount of people that have vendettas against Percy is just ridiculous at this point and half of them are because of who his father is."

"Are you...?" Draco tentatively asked.

"Am I what?"

"A demigod."

Annabeth stared hard at Draco for a few seconds, unsure of how to proceed. For all she knew, he could just be setting her up, and through telling him she'd practically be setting her own trap...

"How do I know you're not being a double- agent and referring this all back to Voldemort?"

"I swear I'm not."

"Why do you suddenly want to work against Voldemort?" Annabeth asked. Draco hesitated. "Well?"

"All this time, I've just been doing what my father wants me to do. And he's only doing what the Dark Lord wants him to do. I'm sick of being controlled like a dog. I could care less who wins this war. I just want out."

Annabeth nodded her head in understanding. "I'll trust you on one condition- you make a promise on the River Styx."

Draco furrowed his eyebrows. "The River what?"

"The River Styx. Basically swearing on it is a binding oath, breaking it gives you a punishment worse than death."

Draco fidgeted. "What could be worse than death?"

"To be honest, no one really knows what happens if it's broken. And no one wants to find out."

Draco nodded. 

"So I'll ask you again- how serious are you about turning against Voldemort?"

Draco looked up and stared Annabeth in the eyes. "I swear on the River Styx that I'm not a double agent, and that I'll help Hogwarts win the war against Voldemort."

Annabeth and Draco heard thunder boom outside the castle walls. Draco jumped.

Annabeth chuckled. "Well then, it's official. Welcome aboard, Draco."

Draco, for the first time, gave a genuine smile.