Chapter 52: A Letter and a Ring

Percy glanced back at Hogwarts, already regretting what he was about to do.

He couldn't let any more of his friends get hurt.

~~~ 

Percy quietly snuck back into Hogwarts and into the Gryffindor common room. Slowly opening the door, he tiptoed into his room. He let out a breath of relief when he saw that Annabeth wasn't there yet. 

Grabbing his backpack from the corner of the room, Percy checked the supplies already in it. He put in an extra dagger and some food and water.

Percy held his ziplock bag of ambrosia and debated whether or not he would even be able to eat it without combusting. Shaking his head, he threw it in deciding to refer to it as a last case necessity. 

He gave a sigh before looking around the room for something to write on. 

Percy rummaged in his trunk and found a blank piece of parchment and uncapped riptide. Putting the cap on the back, riptide became a "normal" pen (shoutout to Annabeth for figuring that out). 

He sat down on the ground, and began writing:

Dear Annabeth,

I'm sorry. You've probably already figured out what I'm doing, even though I just figured it out like five minutes ago.

I had a dream about Voldemort. 

Him and his death gang are going to attack Hogwarts before the end of tomorrow. 

They plan on killing Harry. 

I can't let anyone get hurt.

Especially you.

Percy took a shallow breath, a tear forming in his eye. He continued.

I love you so much, Wise Girl.

Please remember that.

You have to understand- I have to do this.

I'm going to end this... I promise.

Love, Percy

Percy closed his eyes, allowing the tears to flow down his cheeks. He took a few deep breaths to calm his racing heart, before opening them. 

With shaking hands, Percy slid off the engagement ring Annabeth gave him. Percy got up and laid the letter on the bed, and carefully put his ring on top of it. 

The only way to keep her safe was to make sure she couldn't follow him. 

Percy knew he wouldn't be the one to ultimately kill Voldemort- Hecate told him months ago.

But no one ever said he couldn't bring Voldemort to the brink of death.

Well, Annabeth did. And Harry, and Ron, and Hermione.... Percy shook his head.

He made up his mind.

He would rather die than see any more of his friends go through pain. 

~~~

Annabeth, Ron, Harry, and Hermione walked into the Gryffindor common room with Nico in tow. 

"That was awful," Nico complained, flopping into the nearest couch. He walked up nearly five flights of stairs because Annabeth said shadow traveling was a "bad idea" and could "potentially cause him to die".

Annabeth shook her head. "You'll live, Death Boy." She yawned. "I'm going to get some sleep and talk to Percy. See what he thinks about everything."

She walked towards her and Percy's room after receiving a chorus of good nights from the remaining four people in the common room. 

Ron, Hermione, Nico, and Harry sat in awkward silence in front of the fireplace; not wanting to stay up, but not wanting to sleep either.

Nico heard footsteps and turning around, he found Annabeth staring teary eyed at them, lips trembling. Her hands shook as they held a letter and a ring.

~~~

Hey guys! I'm sorry but the next few updates are going to be SUPER SLOW, and on a real weird posting schedule. I have a really busy summer coming up and I'm not going to be able to access my laptop as much.

Thanks for the patience and I love y'all! :)

~~~

On a side note, I will give you guys some things to think about since it will probably be a few weeks until the next update. 

1. Percy left his ring and Annabeth has virtually no way to get into contact with him.

2. Voldemort plans to attack by the end of the next day and kill Harry; Percy leaves to "bring Voldemort to the brink of death".

3. Percy has the Achilles Curse, but not his demigod powers.

4. Nico is now involved.

5. Annabeth can be just as, if not more, scary than Percy when her loved ones are in danger.

Comment your ideas on what you think will happen!!