Chapter 13: Defense Against Potions and Toads

Percy hated the dungeons. It reminded him of his time in the Labyrinth and he did not like it one bit. It was cold and damp in the "classroom". The room was dark, and the wall were stone, and it had a mildewy smell. 

Percy nodded every so often as Ron and Hermione went on about unfair the professor was, and how the professor hated Harry. From the sounds of it, Percy guessed him and this Professor Snape weren't going to get along very well. 

Walking into the room, Percy noticed that Gryffindors and Slytherins had Potions together; and with Percy's luck, Draco Malfoy was in the class too. 

"Potter."

"Malfoy." 

Percy looked between the two wizards. Why couldn't Harry and Draco just ignore each other? Draco caught sight of Percy.

"Percy, I'm surprised you were sorted into Gryffindor. After all, Gryffindors don't typically cry when they are being sorted. The only one to have done so was Longbottom over there," Percy followed Draco's point to Neville. "And if you ask me, the Sorting Hat made a terrible mistake."

Percy glared at Draco. Before he could argue in defense of Neville and himself, Professor Snape strode into the room.

Draco snickered as he went to sit down on the Slytherin side of the room.  

Percy recognized Professor Snape from the Order meeting at the Weasley's. Was every teacher at Hogwarts in on those? 

The second Percy sat down, Snape called him out. "You must be our new student, Perseus Jackson." Snape droned. 

"It's just Percy." The demigod corrected. Snape's voice sounded so familiar. 

Snape's smile creeped Percy out. "I see. Tell me Mr. Jackson, what brings you to Hogwarts during your seventh year? Surely, you'd like to spend your last year with your friends back home?"

Percy's smile became strained. He had to be careful not to slip up. "I wanted to explore other wizarding schools in the world. Dumbledore reached out to my headmaster, and they arranged it." Percy carefully explained. Vague, but detailed. Perfect. 

"You were top of your class, Mr. Jackson?"

"Yes."

Snape nodded. "Then tell me, what is the most powerful truth potion, and what are the properties?" 

Percy racked his brain for an answer. Between Hecate and Hermione, he had the answer. He just had to think. Snape took Percy's silence as proof that Percy was lying. 

"It seems that Mr. Jackson-"

"Veritaserum." Percy interrupted. "The properties are similar to water. Clear and odorless, making it highly effective against unsuspecting individuals, who are untrained to resist it." Percy could see Hermione beaming at his answer at of the corner of his eye. 

Snape stared down Percy, who held eye contact with the professor. 

"That is correct." Snape affirmed. "Open your books and turn to page 332. We will be working on... Your homework is a paper..."

Percy stopped paying attention. He froze. Percy finally recognized that voice. 

"He could be anywhere." A nasally voiced man replied. 

"Then find him! I don't want excuses Severus. I want my grandson found and brought to me." 

"M'lord?" 

Of course! How did Percy not put it together? Severus, as in Severus Snape- his potions professor. Snape was working for Voldemort. 

Percy hesitantly looked up from his book to see Snape staring straight at him. Percy looked back down. Snape knew who he was. As long as Percy makes sure Snape doesn't find out that he's a demigod, Percy can live.