Chapter 3: Can't Run Forever

Percy sat brooding on the shores of Camp Half Blood. He was pissed. He lived through 7 years of being a pawn in the Gods' game, and for what? For him to be used as a weapon in a war, for a world he had no connection to?

Percy already lost everything. He wouldn't lose any more.

Choosing to ignore the increasing sound of hooves on the sand, Percy focused on the beach's horizon.

"My boy..." Percy stared harder, ignoring his mentor. Chiron sat, or whatever centaurs do, next to Percy.

"You know what you must do."

The waves lapped stronger against the shore.

Chiron continued on. "It's part of the prophecy Percy."

"You know, I thought for once, for once, I would actually be able to settle down. Go to New Rome like Anna- like we wanted to. And now? Now there's this war I have to fight in. Another war." Percy snapped.

Chiron looked down.

Percy sighed. "I know I can't run from or attempt to change fate. I've learned that. I just hoped, it wouldn't have been so soon. I mean, it's literally been one war after another. I don't know if I can handle this one."

"I'm sorry, I truly am, Percy. I did not want this for you."

Percy gave a dark chuckle. "Yeah, well, guess that's what happens when you're not supposed to be born."

Chiron's face seemed to have aged 20 years. His wrinkles darkened, casting a gloomy look on his face, taking in what Percy said.

Percy stood up. "Well, can't run forever, right Chiron?" He paused, "Let's get this over with."

Chiron watched Percy's retreating form. He remembered the goofy teenager that helped the Stolls play pranks. He looked into the forest and watched the occasional camper run by, training for this week's game of capture the flag.

This year, like last year, has dwindled in size since the war. It reminded Chiron of all the demigods that were lost.

Having Percy gone, certainly didn't help.

Chiron understood why Percy had to leave. All of his friends, were gone. The love of his life was nowhere to be found, and as much as Chiron hated it to believe it, Annabeth was most likely dead. Of course, Percy never would hear it, and even though Percy never told him, Chiron knew he left to find her.

Percy never went into detail about his journey through Tartarus. But it didn't take an expert, to know that it had changed him. The war as a whole changed him.

He rarely smiled, and when he did, it followed a dark, sarcastic joke. Percy was cold, distant. Far from the kid that Chiron introduced to Camp Half Blood.

"How do we contact him?" Percy interrupted. Chiron gazed into his broken eyes.

"Iris Messaging will work fine."

"Great."

Chiron got up and followed him to the Big House.

When he walked in, he was met with an angry demigod.

"...Percy?"

"He said he will be coming tomorrow. To pick me up, and bring me to his stupid school for kids with magical sticks. He said that there, I will learn to control my magic- which I apparently have by the way- and aid him in his war against a wizard who uses dark magic."

Chiron sat, waiting for him to elaborate.

Percy stopped. Then resumed his angry informative session. "And it's in London! London, Chiron! I asked him how I'd get there, and you know what he said?" Percy paused, and right as Chiron was about to answer, he continued. "-A surprise! He said it would be a surprise! I hate surprises! The last surprise I got killed three of my friends.

"So you know what I told him? I told him that I would be taking myself there. That he needed to tell me a place to meet him, and that I would get there on my own. And Dumbledore told me that that was unnecessary. So then I asked him where I was staying. And he told me some place called the Burrow. What the hell is that? I don't know! Cause Old Gray Beard says nothing, if it's not cryptic." Percy ranted.

Chiron sat there, occasionally nodding, surprised by Percy's rant. He hid his emotions well but when push comes to shove, as it did now, angry outbursts happened.

But Chiron was just thankful another hurricane didn't occur.

"When will you be leaving, Percy?"

"In the morning. The time change is a few hours so I should be in London by noon."

Chiron nodded. "You should better start packing."

"Yeah." Percy chuckled, and got up to leave. As he reached the door, Chiron called after him.

"Percy, if I'm not mistaken, celestial bronze will not work on wizards."

"Thanks, Chiron."

And with that, Percy Jackson walked out of the Big House, packing to be a future pawn, in a game that was yet to be determined.

~~~
The Next Day

"Are you ready Perseus?" Dumbledore stood on the porch of the Big House, impatiently.

Percy glared, and his eyes scrunched up as if he had to think about the answer. "No. And it's Percy."

Dumbledore was taken aback, unused to harsh tones from adolescents.

Chiron just sighed. "Percy..."

"Okay, fine. But don't- don't expect me to go along with what you say." Percy pointed at Dumbledore.

"Yes, yes, we must be going if you are going to arrive at the Burrow on time."

Without warning, or a goodbye to Chiron, Dumbledore grabbed Percy's hand and apparated away.