Chapter 26: No Fun in Funeral

Thalia spoke up. "Percy, let us help. We were her friends too."

Percy and Thalia looked at one another.

Percy sighed. "Okay. Fine."

Nico nodded, and he slowly walked over to Percy, taking the shrine from him.

~~~

Percy wrestled with his knotted tie before yanking it off. 

He fixed his jacket before deciding that he was just better off without the tie. Turning around, he looked at himself in the mirror.

He didn't recognize the guy staring back. 

Percy made sure Riptide was in his pocket before opening his cabin door, and leaving. 

~~~

Thalia comfortingly set her hand on Percy's shoulder, as he got up to speak. 

Percy cleared his throat. "Hi. Um, I'm Percy." He cleared his throat again. "And um, we're here for, um," Percy coughed. "Anna- Annabeth. My uh, my Wise Girl." Percy closed his eyes and tried to control his breathing. The amphitheater was so quiet he could hear a pin drop. 

"Annabeth," Percy continued, "She would have wanted us to move on. To not hold up for her. To- to see her when the time came." Tears started to fall onto Percy's cheek. He sniffled. "Chiron said to talk about a happy memory. One we had together. I don't really know how to choose just one."

Percy gave a faint smile, and hastily wiped his tears. "There was uh, that moment we met, and she said, you drool in your sleep." Percy chuckled softly. "That was the first thing she ever said to me. And I thought she was a princess." Quiet laughter echoed across the room. "I'm serious." More laughter. "There was uh, that other time, when she kissed me before I blew up a mountain. A kiss for good luck, she said. I don't really know if it was the good luck, but I didn't die from Mt. St. Helens, and I was able to crash my own funeral, so yeah, maybe it was good luck."

Percy took a deep breath. "There were those times on the Argo II. We were on a death quest and somehow she still made everything seem fine. She was my best friend, and the love of my life. I was working up the courage to propose to her. I could face giants and titans but I couldn't ask my Wise Girl to marry me." Percy sadly shook his head, letting tears streak down his face. 

"Chiron told me to give my favorite memory. I have so many bad ones, and I haven't been able to see the good in a long time. But if you had to ask me what my favorite memory of Annabeth was," Percy paused, looking out to the captivated crowd. "It was our first underwater kiss." 

A few demigods aw'd, while Nico, Thalia, and Will smiled at the memory.

"We had just finished the war, the first one (for those of you who weren't there) and it was my birthday. Clarisse and a few other campers threw us in the lake, and well, we had our first kiss in an underwater bubble. I was the luckiest guy alive. Her seaweed brain."

Percy smiled. Chiron wiped a tear from his eye.

~~~

"That was a great speech, Percy." Will said. Them, Nico, and Thalia looked out across the water. Leo and Calypso held hands.

"Yeah." Nico agreed, lying his head on Will's shoulder.

"To be honest, Kelp Head, I didn't know you could read. Or write." Percy lightly chuckled at Thalia's comment. "I always thought Annabeth did all that work."

Percy sadly nodded. "Yeah, she did. But I learned from the best. It also doesn't hurt that Athena's blessing makes me smarter."

The demigods froze slowly turning to stare at Percy.

"What?"

"Athena gave you her blessing?" Nico stated.

"Uh, yeah. To help with my quest at Hogwarts."

"Thought she hated you." Thalia commented.

"Me too."

"Hold on! What on earth is Hogwarts?" Leo said. "It sounds disgusting."

Percy laughed. "It's a wizarding school." Upon seeing Leo's confused face, Percy added, "I'm a wizard, Leo."

Leo stared at Percy before busting out laughing. "You're a wizard..." Leo laughed even harder. "Do you have a...a pointy hat? And, and, and a wand?" Leo fell over clutching his stomach. 

Calypso began to laugh too. "Percy why didn't you tell me you had magic?" She asked.

"I didn't know I did! If I had magic, we wouldn't of had such a big problem." Percy defended.

In no time, all of the demigods and Calypso were laughing. It got to the point where everything was funny, from Will's hair to Leo's toolbelt. 

Will wiped a tear from his eye, trying to control his laughter. "I should," laughs continuing to breakthrough, "I should go. Archery starts in a few minutes, and I need to check in on a few people in the infirmary."

"I'll go with you." Nico said. They both stood up, hugging Thalia as they left.

"See ya!" Thalia waved as Will and Nico walked away. 

Thalia stood up too. "I should probably get going. Lady Artemis is waiting."

Percy sadly smiled. "She can wait a few more days right?"

Thalia shook her head. "It's already been long enough."

"Yeah, okay." Percy stood up and hugged her.

"Percy, if you need anything. We're here for you. Just let us know."

"Thanks, I will."

"Also, don't be a Kelp Head and wait two years before Iris Messaging me. Check in every now and then, will you?"

"I will, yeah. I'll talk to you soon."

"Good."

And with that, Thalia left. 

"Guess it's just you, me, and Calypso here now." Leo joked.