Chapter 4

"Eren," the familiar gentle voice coming from the side forced him to tear his eyes away from the river. Turning only his head, the first thing that caught Eren's eyes was the crystal blue cornea of the eye. Upon seeing it, he felt something stirred within him. Something that made him nervous for a brief moment.

Historia.

The blonde figure was tied in her usual low bun; she was wearing the dark green royal military uniform with a dark red stripe crossed diagonally. For a second, Eren attempted to perform a formal greeting, but it was quickly cut off by Historia.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

"The river, I mean."

Said Historia in a soft-low voice as she stared into the water. Immersing herself just like Eren did. Moving closer to her, he noticed she was almost at his height--only just below his chin. After a moment of silence as they both stared into the water, "So..why were you smiling?" Historia asked teasingly. "Hmm...Nothing in particular, if I may say," replied Eren after giving a moment of thought. Relaxing himself, "strolling the town?" asked Eren in a hopeful tone even though he knew full well that's not true. She's often got her hand full of meetings, documents, and other royal duties he's not aware of. "You know the answer," she replied while smiling at him. "But...don't worry about it, though. I'm managing it."

Seeing her urge to avoid this topic, Eren chose not to press it further. But he did, however, nodded in a way to let Historia know that he knew what she was thinking as he stared into the distance.

"Come with me," Historia declared in a formal tone. Taken by surprise, Eren jerked and took a moment to come to his senses. After which, he understood why. In front of Royal cart stood two journalists: A tall, slim, perplexed, and fairly young one; and a short, bulky, indifferent, old, and experienced one. Eren quickly-paced himself just beside Historia and mentally prepared himself for questions. Consciously, he straightened his military jacket, combed his mid-length hair with his hands, and made sure he was sharp. Noticing what Eren was doing, Historia let a small smile creep onto her face before returning back to her stern feature. Beside the cart stood a red-haired woman in black military uniform. Readying herself, she walked toward Historia, "These two are from New Royal Magazine, your majesty, and they requested for an interview survey."

Historia nodded in acknowledgment and gestured both for Eren and the red-haired woman to stand by either side of her. "Good...afternoon," Historia said as she took a moment to remember the rough time of the day. "Good afternoon, your majesty," the older one replied as he reached out for a handshake. After which, he shook Eren's, and he began, "I assume this young man is Eren Yeager, your Majesty?"

"Yes, he is."

"If I may, can I discuss some royal matters knowing that a member of your formal scout regiment is around?"

Member of the formal scout. Historia contemplated on the many events that have happened since then. It felt like a different lifetime. Someone else's lifetime. Letting go of the sudden reminiscent, she continued,

"Yes, go ahead,"

The man glanced at Eren's stern face, then continued, "It has been roughly a year since you began your rule, but there hasn't been much progress on the international level when it comes to resolving this Island's survival. 'Nations' as they are titled, outside of this Island despises us. At this point in time, can you provide us a rough estimate for the foreseeable future?"

Staring to the side, Historia took a moment to gather her thoughts. Then, ensuring she's projecting power and confidence, Historia projected her voice, "Nothing much, but, we do have an ally: Hizuru. Thanks to the Survey Corps' continuous effort, we have set an upcoming meeting. We don't know their true motives at this moment, but I, as the ruler of her people, will do everything I can--even if it means sacrificing myself--to ensure this Island's future."

===========

Even if it means sacrificing myself to ensure this Island's future.

"That'll be all. Thank you for taking your time, your majesty." The older man stated as he shook Historia's hand with a firm grip. There was a deep admiration emitting from his old eyes for the young queen. To which Eren noticed as he peeked into the dark brown eyes of his.

"I'm honored. Please continue your good work for the people." Historia stated sincerely. As Eren looked at Historia from the side, he was captivated by her determination and selfless features on her face. Her blue eyes displayed a strong sense of duty. As if she accepted her fate.

This, however, emitted a certain beauty within her, he admitted.

But....I can't let you do that. Sacrificing you is not an option.

As the two journalists began to take their leave, Eren reached out, wrapping both of his arms gently around Historia's neck; he made sure it wasn't too tight and leaned in from the back. Eren's face was practically right next to hers before whispering softly:

"You really are amazing."

========

Startled by Eren's sudden embrace, Historia scrutinized Eren's face that was right next to her's. She saw a glimpse of admiration from his green eyes, but it was quickly replaced with worry and care as he stared into the distance in deep thought.

He was somewhere else.

Noticing that Emery--the red-haired woman--and the two journalists' attention were on them, Historia, wanting to snatch him back, held Eren's arms that were wrapped warmly around her and gently whispered back,

"Eren."

Immediately, Eren withdrew his arms around Historia as he became self-aware of what he was doing. Then, knowing what he has done was punishable by death, he kowtowed in front of his queen.

"Forgive me, your majesty. I....got carried away. If you're disgusted or offended by what I've done, please, send me away and impose the necessary punishment to set an example."

"Stand up and look at me."

Staying kneeled for a moment, Eren reluctantly stood up and did as he was ordered.

"It's alright," Historia reached out, holding her hands tightly to Eren's, and looked deeply into his eyes and stated firmly, "You're forgiven."

Then, letting go of Eren's hands, she turned to face the two journalists, "My apologies for this sudden incident. But, please don't make a big fuss out of this, if I may request."

"As you wish," replied the older one before giving a head nod and proceeding with their course.

"Your majesty," Emery called out as she held the Royal Cart's door gesturing to her queen to get in the cart. Historia, watching the two Journalists disappear from her view, turned and trudged towards the cart before getting inside. Facing Eren, who's still standing beside the cart, sat down and said:

"Get in. And that's an order."

Finally! An Eren and Historia's interaction chapter. The FIrst one yet. Looks like the plot is also moving along as I hoped.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!