Chapter 20

Running through streets, the reddish-brown hair woman was panting and was desperately looked for a higher altitude. When she saw a group of six soldiers marching towards her from the opposite end of the street, she hid between the gap of two dusty, concrete buildings. Stretching every fiber of her body, she moved between the gap as quickly as she could. When she saw the linear bright light at the end of the dark compressed space, she increased her pace before popping out the other side. Taking quick breaths, she then climbed up the rusty steel ladder and got onto the roof. Kneeling on the inner side of roof tiles to obscure her presence in the night, she took out the signal flare gun from the large pocket of her military uniform, covered one side of her ear with her other hand, aimed the gun at the night sky, and counted.

"3, 2, 1-please work!"

Pressing down the trigger, the gun shook in her hand as it made a loud bang and fired a thick red smoke into the clear night sky. Almost immediately, she heard another bang from a distance. She looked up and saw the same smoke flare was fired into the night sky. Then, there was another followed, this time to her left. Soon, three more signal flares were fired sequentially to another. As she observed, all five signal flares were fired in her direction, and she knew what it meant.

These signal flares are pinpointing the location of my signal flare!

Sasha then yelled in disbelief. "You guys were here the entire time!?"

===

Eren constantly looked up to the night sky as he ran through the confused and crowded streets, violently pushing anyone out of his path. When Eren looked up again, he saw five lines of red smoke connecting to a single red smoke at the center, which gave him a rough idea of the location of the first signal flare that was fired. Eren was then suddenly grabbed by the arm and was yanked to a chair. Jean kneeled beside Eren and pressed Eren's head downwards with his other hand. "They are looking for us. Stay low." Hearing quick footsteps of soldiers approaching, Eren stayed put. Then, a familiar voice from a distance yelled. "Clear the streets! Let us through!" As the civilians moved to the side of the streets, Eren and Jean were obscured from view. Eren swiped Jean's hand away, peaked between the two heads, and saw Prince Katsu leading the soldiers from the front. Eren's jaw and hands clenched at the sight of the black hair prince, he hissed. "We're gonna blend in first."

Jean and Eren followed behind the long line of soldiers in an attempt to hopefully tackle down two back-end soldiers and take their clothing without notice. However, the opportunity came sooner than expected when Eren heard the crisp sounds of Vertical Maneuvering Gear zipping down the streets. Confused, the soldiers turned around and saw men in tight black suits carrying thunder spears on their arms and flew above. The black suits blended perfectly with the night sky, making it difficult for soldiers on the ground to read the situation. They were then blasted and sliced by the thunder spears and thick heavy blades. And within a few seconds, all of the ground troops were slaughtered. Now that the city's sky has been filled with flying men in black, Eren told Jean.

"Change of plans. Since they are already here."

===

Hange?

The blonde stared in horror on the cold concrete floor as the warm blood poured out of the Commander's pierced neck steadily. Knowing she was still in danger, the back of Historia's mind screamed for her to get up. But the trembling and twitching of her arms and legs, the heavy breathing of her lungs, and mental shock drained away the energy she needed. Someone yelled in the distance, but Historia couldn't register the wording. She then forced her head in the fainting sound direction and saw Mikasa charging right at her. "Get up!" Mikasa yelled as she picked up Historia under the arms, ran to the wooden door at full force, jumped, and smashed it open with her foot. Mikasa then landed on her feet, steadying herself, adjusting her tight grip of Historia, and sprinted out into the night.

Breaking the leg of a soldier in front of him, pulling his black hair backward to expose his pale neck, Levi then sliced his throat with no remorse. "Go with her!" Levi commended. "And, Armin!" Levi dropped his voice into a deadly, cold, murderous tone. "You got us into this mess, so it's your duty to get us out. Even if it means costing your worthless life." Levi continued his ruthless killing to let Armin and Connie escape. When the two were gone, without moving his head, his half-closed eyes stared at the lifeless body of Hange for a brief second. Then shifting his attention at Sozin, who was sitting in his stone seat, grinning.

"What are you smiling about?" Levi said coldly.

Looking into Levi's half-closed dead eyes, Sozin leaned forward in his seat and casually said, "Nothing, I'm just amused. That's all." Holding the knife by the end of the blade, shifting all of his weight to his right leg, stretching out his right arm, then shifting all of his weight back onto the left leg that was firmly planted into the ground, and swung the knife at Sozin. The knife spun in mid-air before the blade collided against the stone seat and caused high piercing vibration around the room. Knowing Sozin has escaped, Levi curses to himself.

===

Carrying Historia over her shoulder, Mikasa calmly limped through the darkness. To avoid the trees, Mikasa stuck out her other hand to grope between the tree lines. "Mikasa, I think we're safe. Put me down." Mikasa looked around, stayed still for several seconds, determined that they weren't followed; Mikasa did as Historia commended. Knowing Mikasa's limping because she was hurt, Historia asked softly. "Which foot?"

"It's my left foot's toe. I probably strained the toe when I landed with toes first."

Historia moved to Mikasa's left side, took her left arm, and roped over the back of her neck. "C'mon." Historia facilitated Mikasa carefully through the pitch-black forest. Both were dead silent. When they heard quiet whisperings from behind, Historia lay Mikasa against a giant tree, told her not to worry, and disappeared.

Crawling quietly between the thick trees towards the voices, Historia listened in.

"Damn it! Where are they?!"

Historia recognized the voice, wanted to call out, but restrained herself and listened for once more. "Calm down, I'll find a way." said another familiar voice. But Historia was sure of it this time and called out. "Armin, is that you?"

"Historia!?"

Historia stood up behind the bush, walked towards the two dark silhouettes, and Connie and Armin's relieved faces came into view. Not giving them time to say another word, Historia gestured with her hand. "Help us out."

===

"Floch, what's their status?" Eren called out as he quickly paced towards tousled hair. "They're missing," Floch said. Taking a moment to let the word sink in, he continued, "And Hange Dancho was killed. Shot with an arrow." Eren was silent, gazing at Floch, his expression then darkened, and asked, "other casualties?"

"Besides some recruits, no other casualties from the 104th." Eren nodded, trudging himself to the concrete wall, and leaned against the surface. Jean and Floch were watching Eren and can visibly see his face was drained from the stress.

"Dispatch a few units to go and search for the Queen and others. Bring them to safety. The rest are to be dedicated to uncovering the damn traitors. If you find any lead to the Prince, bring him to me."

After Floch went ahead as Eren ordered, Jean asked, "What about you?" Eren glared into the night and said in a furious low voice. "I'm gonna kill him."

===

3/31/21

Attack on Titan: Chapter 139. Nine days from now.

Tatakae!