Chapter 21

Walking behind Armin and Mikasa, the blonde watched one of the two childhood friends supporting the other as they carefully walked through the pink forest. Observing closely, the blonde noticed that Armin held Mikasa carefully around the waist, shifting part of her body weight on his; her other arm was wrapped around the back of his neck, and he casually conversed. Mikasa seemed relaxed around him as he talked. While not focusing on the gist of their conversation, Historia could see the mutual trust they shared by just glancing at their faces from time to time. When the group finally saw a narrow blue stream, Historia told them to settle down for brevity.

The group decided to settle at the edge of the pink forest cliff while remaining hidden between the trees to obscure their view. Knowing they can only take a short amount of break because they don't have any other means, the group decided to rest during the warm day and move during the cold night until they find a solution. After this, Historia ordered Armin to stay with Mikasa, Connie to gather some woods, eatable foods and that she will help him once she is finished scouting the area for possible help. Because of what Eren had confided to her earlier, she was sure they were already dispatched.

Kneeling beside the blue stream, the blonde submerged her hands inside the cold stream water. Seeing the reflection of herself on the surface of the clear stream, she then buried her face into her knees and murmured, "I'm tired of this." Feeling the cooling sensation of cold running water around her hands, she took a deep breath. Then looking at her reflection again, she loosened her blonde hair and tied it loosely at the end. Hearing footsteps behind her, Historia turned her head slightly. "Mikasa....you shouldn't be walking." Hearing the low energy of hers, Mikasa kneeled beside Historia. "It's alright. I can handle it." Historia then gazed at Mikasa and nodded. "Wanna help me out then?" Historia asked casually as she helped Mikasa to stand up.

"Yeah, besides, I'm sure Eren wouldn't be happy if you were left alone searching for aid."

Historia studied Mikasa, then nodded. "I guess you're right." Observing Historia's loosely tied hair as Mikasa paced beside her, Mikasa stated bluntly:

"You know, you remind me of aunt Carla."

"Huh?"

Historia stared at Mikasa in confusion at her words. Mikasa then continued. "I don't know you, Historia. At least not as well as Eren does. But, from what I observed, be it your care for children or providing emotional support and judgment against Eren, that aspect you remind me of Eren's mother."

Historia walked silently as she thought about Mikasa's observations. She looked down at the stones underneath her feet, then asked. "What was aunt Carla like to Eren?" Mikasa stared into the distant trees in front of her, allowing herself to be immersed in the warm colors of the forest. "She often scolds Eren whenever he does irrational things. Since Eren is always seeking ahead, he often gets angry whenever someone restricts his freedom." Mikasa took a long, breaking breath. Trying to hold in her emotions, she said, "Of course, aunt Carla scolded Eren because of protectiveness. But, as a kid, he was ignorant. Eren knew that she did for his sake. On numerous occasions, he even admitted it whenever aunt Carla wasn't around."

Mikasa looked at Historia, who was watching her intently. She stared into Historia's soft blue eyes and said, "When aunt Carla died, I also saw a part of Eren die. It wasn't until the event in the crystal cave that I saw that part of Eren came alive again." Taking a moment, Mikasa thought. "And I'm sure it was you who saved him."

Historia looked away, stared into the distance, and silently thought to herself. Not knowing what she was thinking and wanting to let go of the tension, Mikasa let out a deep, loud, long sigh. Feeling relieved, she said, "I may never be able to get to know you, Historia. And frankly, I'm afraid to. But I can't deny your close bond with Eren and what you did to him. So....Thank You, I guess."