Chapter 15

"Relax, I just wanna talk," Said Hange.

"What's that you wanna talk about this time, Hange?!" Eren said, trying to repress the irritation in his voice.

Not knowing to both Eren and Hange, Historia was silently waiting outside the private chamber. The blonde was about to talk to Eren before he was summoned by Hange. Out of curiosity, the blonde silently tailed them to the current chamber.

"I just want to know what your deal is with Historia." The commander paused, then with a softer voice, she said, "You have been spending the majority of your time with her. Since then, you know, I'm curious."

"What's the matter? Since when did you care?"

"You're still upset at me for abandoning her, aren't you?" Hange sighed. "Fine, I'll get to the point: Mikasa's worried about you. And I'm just curious why you're so attached to Historia."

The room fell silent. Then, Eren spoke with an easier tone:

"I want to be beside her. I don't want her to feel alone. I'm sure since becoming Queen, that has taken a huge toll on her. Knowing Historia, feeling alone and neglected is the last thing she wants."

"Then....what about Mikasa?" Hange asked carefully.

"What about her?"

"Well, as I said, she's worried. She wants to know if you're okay. Like, if you're doing this because you want to. I don't know what's your relationship with her, but she certainly is obsessed. On numerous occasions, she was about to go after you in the two days when you were gone if not for Jean's inference. She was like a madman."

"And why are you saying this to me?" Eren asked coldly.

"Because.....what are you going to do?"

The chamber fell into a long silence again. The only thing that could be heard was the consistent silent engine noises that permeated from the bottom of the ship. Historia, leaning against the steel wall, was about to barge into the chamber before Eren finally said:

"I don't know. What Mikasa wants can't be fulfilled. She can ask for help from me, but that's it.....just make sure Jean is there for her. But what I do know is that I won't leave Historia."

Hange said, sighing, "Alright, I'll tell Jean that. But this is temporary. You got to figure something out soon."

Eren didn't respond. Hearing footsteps approaching the door, Historia quickly-paced herself out of the long narrow hall that was orangely lit. Turning around the corner, she crouched behind a large wooden cabinet that contained all sorts of ornaments. Hearing the footsteps closing in, she hoped Eren would walk past her. As she was staring into the distance, her heart rate increased with each closing step, and feeling the burning sensation of her skin; she rubbed her arms in the attempt to compose herself.

The sounds of Eren's footsteps stopped, then she heard a grinning call:

"Idiot, what are you doing there?"

Historia looked up to see the brunet's face, who smirked at her as he leaned his elbow on the cabinet, another hand on his hip. Historia looked away, embarrassed, and asked. "You knew?"

"Of course. You can't deceive me, your majesty."

Holding out his hand, Eren called out playfully, "C'mon."

Historia, taking his hand, then said, "To my chamber."

===

Inside the dimly lit chamber lies a gigantic flatbed in the middle. Under the long, heavy blanket, Eren and Historia held onto each other as they try to drift asleep. However, knowing there was something on her mind, Eren gently stroked Historia's upper back with his hand to let her know he was awake. When she finally spoke out, Eren stopped.

"I'm selfish, aren't I?"

Eren opened his eyes and stared into the dimly lit lamp on the desk across the bed. He knew Historia was referring to Mikasa's feelings towards Eren. He said, "it's my choice. Plus, she needs to learn to let go. She has to realize that." Eren waited for Historia to spew out the rest. But when she didn't, he said:

"You feel guilty?"

Sensing the tightening of her arms that was wrapped around him, Eren said firmly, "You know what I hate the most?" Eren then softened his voice. "I hate people that aren't free. I hate people that feel the need to pay their debt to others when there's nothing to pay. I hate people that deliberately misconceive their sense of love for others and expect a return."

Knowing Historia was staring at him, Eren returned it by looking into her eyes and said, "You saved me back then. You understood me back then. I want to be by your side not because of debt, but because we understand each other."

Historia, watching him intently, then burying her head into Eren's chest, and asked, "And....what do you call that?"

===

Sitting by the round table on the front deck of the ship, Historia and prince Katsu discussed the current state of Hizuru. The relationships that the nation of Hizuru has established were mostly for exploitation. Given the sheer military size, economic, and diplomatic power, Hizuru has risen to a powerhouse since the fall of the Eldian Empire. The gist of the conversation came down to the betterment of Hizuru. Any concerns for Paradis became the second priority. Eventually, both came to a stalemate, and Historia was dubious of this excursion.

"Prince Katsu, if you're unwilling to compromise, I don't see why we should be here in the first place," Historia said while glaring at him across the table.

Seeing the discontent, the prince sighed, "I'll talk to my father. I'll try to nudge him a little. If that's possible"

The blonde caught two small figures playing happily together across the deck. Both of them were beaming at the surrounding ocean water. Historia, who have seen the two kids around the ship before, questioned, "are they the only ones on the ship?"

The prince looked at Historia, who was watching the two children intently, said. "They were abandoned by their parents because of the recent war across the ocean. We found them by the beach, and I took them in." When Historia's attention was on him, the prince turned his attention to the kids and continued, "they were lifeless when I took them in, but now they are behaving just like normal children." Historia studied him, then said, "You are a good person....Well, at least you seem like one."

Prince Katsu laughed at her statement, shook his head, and said, "let's see if I can maintain being a good person before my father destroys me."

===

Well, well, well. Looks like Prince Katsu also has father issues, lol.  An obvious running theme in AoT.

Anyways, thank you for reading and the continued support!