Chapter 9

Because I'll end this vicious cycle. Permanently.

The blonde watched Eren as he revealed his true intentions unconsciously to Matteo, and she knew what this meant.

He meant every word of it, didn't he?

Historia then cautiously stabilized her cup of cold water on the soft grass, got on to her knees, and moved leisurely to Eren while his attention was still on Matteo. Unknowing to Eren, Historia then gently inserted her arms under his and wrapped it around his muscular chest from the back; she rested one side of her face on his broad back and whispered out loud:

"Not another word, Eren."

===

The kids watched the two stay in that position for several moments. Each of them had their own interpretation about what just had occurred in front of them. Some watched with great interest, while others watched with great perplexity. But at last, a girl, who was beaming, eagerly asked with ambiguity:

"What's your relationship!?"

Upon hearing the question, Historia popped out her head, rested her chin on Eren's left shoulder, and stared deep into the girl's dark grey eyes. Then looked away to examine other kids that were watching both of them.

"Hmm....We're very close friends."

Historia gave a moment, then, knowing they weren't satisfied with that answer. She continued:

"Very close friends means they understand each other. They share the same interests, ideologies, and most importantly, they care about each other deeply. And as a result....their affection completes one another."

Right?

Historia turned her attention to Eren; she watched for his reaction from the side. However, his mid-length hair obscured his eyes and only showed his lips, which had already formed a small smile. Eren then looked into the blue eyes of hers that were reflecting the afternoon sun and questioned:

"Are you sure that's what it means?"

Glancing at Eren, Historia replied. "I don't know....You tell me."

===

The blonde held on to Eren as they sat on the grass; they watched the sunset slowly under the horizon, reflecting its shining orange rays across the field. As Neither of the two wanted to pull away, they enjoyed each other's company in the cool breeze that came now and then to provide a needed allay of heat and warmth that were generated between both of their bodies. Eren was watching the kids silently sleeping together under the tree. Their faces were devoid of any worries or concerns from the earlier tangent by him, which brought him a smile.

"We should wake them up. It's getting late." Eren said while patting on Historia's head. Historia hummed in agreement. Letting go of Eren, she then swiftly moved her body to the sleeping kids. Shaking them by their shoulders, "Wake up, Come on!"

Tried again, "Wakey-wakey!"

After several minutes, the groggy kids were standing by their feet, rubbing their eyes with their delicate hands to awake. Curious where the kids would be staying, Eren asked: "Where are they staying nowadays?" As Historia played with the kids in an attempt to get them out of their sleepish state, she said: "There's a large single storage house not far from here. They've been staying there since its construction." She looked at Eren, then said, "I'm planning to build another one soon. I just need to get the fundings from some of the reluctant nobles." Eren, studying her, then nodded.

"Ever since you came to power, the lives of the commons have significantly improved." Eren softly stated while gently squeezing her shoulder.

Shaking her head, "It's far from what I wanted. Some of the components that were needed were cut from my original proposal. It needs additional groundwork."

"Of course. But from what I've seen, the lives outside the noble districts have elevated far beyond the previous rule." Taking a moment to gather his words, Eren continued, "Continue to do what you do best. I'll come to your aid whenever you need me. And I'll share my honest sentiment regarding the people within the walls with you. I just need you to summon me because....I want to carry your burden."

To be continued.... 

Please feel free to share your thoughts. And, as always. Thank You for reading!