A A K A S H : part III

I and Ravi spent a good amount of time on the terrace as the cold air ruffled our hair. I finally realized that he was probably hungry and wanted to head to dinner so I pushed against the railing I had been leaning on and indicated for us to go down.

The look of relief on Ravi's face made guilt find its way in my heart. I didn't mean to bother my best friend in my marriage problems especially when we were meeting after so long.

Ravi very patiently heard what I had to say, from where my irritation stemmed and the way I felt when Runi pushed me aside and hid things from me. He nodded while sympathizing and fortunately didn't comment on it.

Dinner was quick. The ladies didn't probe for questions, I kept my eyes on Chole Bhature and only got up after I finished my dinner.

Unlike their previous stay at our place, the couple decided to head home early and call it a night. While walking them out, I noticed the tight lipped smile Niti passed to me and I nodded in her direction. Ravi took a promise from us to come visit them the next month which Runi ended up confirming.

As the door closed behind them, I didn't wait in the living room. I marched to the kitchen and cleaned up the mess. I threw the plastic containers away and began to wash the dishes. Runi eyed me as she entered the kitchen but when she saw what I was doing, she walked out.

I tried my best to not let the hurt come back and make my mind clouded. I didn't want to fight. I was home after a tiring trip and I wanted to rest and enjoy my time in bed and that's exactly I will be doing.

It didn't take much time to finish the dishes, I rechecked if the dal was in refrigerator. It was then that my eyes fell on a white plastic bag. I peeped inside to find a closed box of pastries from Baskin Robbins. Giving into my childish urges, I opened the box to find four chocolate truffle pastries waiting to be devoured. I sighed before slamming the door close and walking into the bathroom for a quick shower.

When I came back I took notice of how Runi had changed into a pair of pyjamas and her hello kitty T-shirt. I didn't let my eyes linger and instead jumped on the bed, pulled the covers and switched off my bedside lamp.

I instantly closed my eyes and prayed that sleep would come soon.

It didn't happen.

Instead, ten minutes later I heard her bedside lamp flipping off, the covers shuffling and someone creeping behind me.

A warm hand snaked through my torso and rested on my stomach. I felt Runi pull herself closer to me but I didn't nudge one bit. I could feel her warm breath on my neck and the way her hands tightened. Her chest pressed to my back and I resisted the urge to let out any kind of sound from my mouth.

After a few minutes I heard her sigh heavily before she buried face in the crook of my neck.

"I don't like it when you're angry with me" Her voice is soft and delicate as if she's afraid of confessing it.

I kept my silence and pretended I didn't hear her. I'm sleeping. I'm sleeping.

"Aakash..." Her voice wobbles and it's in that instant I have to crack my boundary and give in. I breath out before turning to her side and holding her hand in mine.

"And I don't like it when you keep things from me. It makes me feel like I'm a nobody in your life" I say in the darkness.

She sniffs before she mutters my name again. The way my heart twists in my chest at her voice makes me pull her closer and wrap my arms around her.

"I...." She begins but doesn't complete. The light from outside fills up our room in a highlight of soft white light.

"I'm losing my job, Aakash"