S A K S H I : part III

s a k s h i

"What about this?" Neel held up another vessel in his hand, examining the thick base and shiny surface. "This milk pan?"

I bit my lip and pretended to think but I was really just preparing the words I hadto say," Um... we have a pateela at home and I guess that does the job"

Neel looked at the fancy milk pan one more time, a clueless look on his face before he decided to keep it back on the rack and move further. There were various vessels and I bet he was getting overwhelmed when it comes to the question of what to buy for our new home.

"This set of glasses looks beautiful!" Neel exclaimed yet another time and I had to remind myself not to snap or raise the volume of my tone.

"We're not buying any fancy glassware," I gently said and moved into the next section. It had couch pillows of different sizes perched on quirky stands. I liked a set of two white pillows which had colourful varli painting done on it. We would definitely need this if we were getting home a sofa later this month.

I pat the pillow with my hands and find them soft yet sturdy. Okay, have to keep aside some cash for this.

"Are you sure you don't want anything else for the kitchen?" Neel bit his lip while we waited in line for billing.

"Relax, we're good" I smiled at him and swatted at his shoulder to remove the creases. There was not much crowd today given it was a weekday and four in the afternoon. Housewives wearing bored expressions roamed the aisles in pursuit to find some excitement. I tried ignoring the dull throb on top my head from the time I had bumped into the cabinet.

When we reached the parking area after having shopped for groceries and some much needed footwear, I sensed another question coming from Neel. I tried to count the steps as I felt the bag's weight pulling me down. We walked in the direction of a white Wagon R, a car Neel borrowed from his colleague so we could carry everything back home.

One.

Two.

Three.

An elderly couple passed by us while discussing where to get their matching yoga suits. The man wore a flat face while nodding to everything his wife said. My chest hurt with the breathing and my arms felt motionless.

Four.

Five.

Six.

"Sakshi, are you sure you don't need anything else?" It's back again and my head is spinning.

I turned to look at Neel who had beads of perspiration lining his forehead as he carried the bag with oil and grains.

"Neel," I sighed. I placed the two bags I was carrying on the grey ground and took deep breaths. I looked down at my fingers to find red bands in the middle and my breath high. Neel stopped as well and looks at me.

"You need to stop worrying so much" I said with a dry mouth and walk back two steps to rest my back against the concrete pillar.

Neel let the bags lose and walked in front of me. I was panting as I watched his creased forehead and tired eyes. This man hasn't had time to rest since we came in this city. He was back office working and working and worrying himself for things that shouldn't be so bothersome.

He had this crazy idea that I was a princess and needed to be treated like one.

I was tired of it.

"And you need to start exercising more," Neel bent down and got a plastic water bottle before unscrewing the cap and offering me. I quickly chugged down a good volume in haste and realized the sweat running down the side of my face. Neel shook his head and retrieved a white handkerchief from his pocket and opened it. He pressed the cotton fabric on my forehead as I screwed the cap back on.

I narrowed my eyes at his statement. He hid a small smile behind his lips and continued to dab on my skin.

"Neel," I look up at him but he refused to meet my eyes, working his hands and patting my face dry. I took his face in my hand until he looked into my eyes.

"I want to build our home too, make it the best," I smiled at him while forcing my breaths to become normal, "I don't want to rush. I don't want a queen's palace with everything straight out of a home décor magazine. "

Neel's face remains neutral while listening to him and I feel the urge to push some more words out of my mouth.

"No matter how small, empty or unfurnished our home is right now. I love it. I really do. You know why?" Neel didn't say a thing. His lips pressed against themselves.

"Because it's our" I let the words hang in the air for a moment. "We'll get everything with time, make it so perfect. Remember that home isn't all fancy curtains or cabinets that make you drool or accessories that you can gaze all time. Home is us."

I took a breath and continued. "You and me. Us. And trust me 'us' is enough for me right now.

If you're thinking I'm 'adjusting' in that flat, you're terribly wrong. As long as I have you by my side, I'm happy with which ever place we land up in."

Neel didn't move an inch from his place when we heard footsteps not far from us. He kept looking into my eyes in a way that made me want to bury my face in his chest.

When the footsteps faded away, he surprised me by scooping me up in his arms and carrying me to the car.

I laughed and told him to put me down but he didn't seem to listen.

When we reached our building, Neel insisted to leave the bags in the car for the moment. Rushing inside the house, he locked the door behind him before finally wrapping his arms around me and dipping down to kiss me.

******************************