M A N S I : part II

For the rest of the evening, I kept quiet, replying only when asked to. When we sat down to dinner I didn't insist anyone to try out the biryani. The biryani that demanded three hours of care and attention. 

"Oh come on, Hina! I bet you must be hungry since your dinner was so early," Yash chided as we sat on the dinner table and he scooped a good amount of the flavored rice on his plate.

"Trust me, Yash, my stomach is completely full," Hina said from her seat on the sofa, scrolling through her phone and not bothering to look up.

Naman got up with a dramatic flourish, "Look at her size, she has the appetite of a squirrel"

He walked up to us and gave us a wide smile.

"And me? I have the appetite of an elephant!" With that declaration, Naman slid the chair next to me back and sat down.

Naman was oblivious to the tactics of the women. These women were trying to single me out and show that their circle was impenetrable and I didn't deserve to be a part of it. But Naman never once supported their tries to eliminate me from any of the group activities.

I felt like he was like the loyal Laxman to me and Yash

I served a good amount of Biryani on his plate and watched him close his eyes as he inhaled deeply.

"I bet you've added some sort of magic in this, Mansi," He grinned.

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed Rakesh watching us three starting on our dinner. He gulped and I felt a bit bad for him.

Before I could think over the idea, my mouth started speaking, "Why don't you have some, Rakesh?"

Rakesh was about to answer but his wife, Dhruvi, beat him to it.

"No. Absolutely not. We've been advised not to have such oily unhealthy food" Dhruvi said while placing her hands on her hips and frowning at us.

"Hina," Yash's voice was tight. "This isn't the food from a roadside stall. It's not oily and it's definitely not unhealthy"

"What do you know about the effects of unhealthy food? It is I who will have to take Rakesh on rounds to the doctor the moment his cholesterol level goes up" Hina rolled her eyes and took a sip from her glass.

My husband was seething beside me. I could feel it in the way his jaw was locked and fist balled, so I placed my hand on top of his. I gave his hand a gentle squeeze letting him know that it was completely okay.

"It's made of brown rice, Hina" I spoke up. It didn't slip my mind how everyone here were very particular about the small things. Brown rice over white rice. Himalayan salt over regular salt. Looking classy over being classy.

"I'm sure a small serving of this won't sky rocket his cholesterol levels," I said with a stiff smile on my lips. Hina looked mildly surprised by my statement and I watched Rakesh get up and walk towards us.

Rakesh threw me a grateful look when he began serving himself. Beside me I could feel Yash's gaze on me and it was enough for me to curl my toes in delight.

"Mansi bhabhi," Naman drawled as he moaned after taking the first bite.

"I don't have words to describe it but yaar ghar ki yaad dila di"

That was the best compliment I had received in my entire lifetime.

***

"Are you not studying these days?" I asked my sister when I found her head and attention focused on her phone screen. My mother had just informed me about the lack of efforts my younger sister was putting in her studies. That too when her boards were just three months away!

"Riddhi, I got you the new phone so you didn't have to stress your eyes. But you're clearly not using it for educational purposes," I complained taking a seat next to her.

Riddhi peeled her gaze from the phone screen and looked up to me with a smug expression.

"Relax, Di"

I gave her reprimanding look and watched her cock her head to the side.

"What's even the point of studying so much?" She shrugged.

I caught her ear between my fingers and twisted her ear slightly. She winced in response.

"Did you forget your sister has done double masters and is on her way to getting her doctorate?"

Riddhi yelped causing our mother to run into the room with worried eyes.

"Di, don't be so mean" Riddhi groaned, "Plus, if things don't go as planned, I'll just marry a rich guy like you."

I gasped at her statement. Riddhi wriggled out of my grip as if she didn't just make a dig at me about my marriage this casually.

"Riddhi!" My mother thundered.

It was an understatement to say that I wasn't shocked by my younger sister's dialogue.

"She isn't saying anything ridiculous" A deep gruff voice joined the conversation and in walked my father with his jaw ticked and forehead creased. "After all she'll just be doing what her big sister did"

My heart shrunk in my chest at his condescending remark.

"I married Yash because I loved him" I found myself explaining. My voice was small and it quivered a bit.

My father scoffed as if I just made some joke. My whole body broke out in a cold sweat as if sensing the tension in the air. I wanted to leave at that very moment.

"What is your problem with Yash, Papa?" I dared myself to ask. I needed to know why he was so irritated and bothered with Yash's money.

"You were against the marriage at first and now that you've finally agreed, you refuse to give him respect!"

"My respect? Those rich, selfish boys don't deserve any of my respect!" He said with a voice of steel. The vein on his forehead pulsed with his hot blood.

"What did he do, Papa? Why are you making this about him being rich?"

"It is about him being rich!" My father narrowed his eyes at me.

"You think he loves you?" He asked me walking further towards me. My mother tried to come between us and make my father calm but my father wasn't going to listen to anyone.

"Yes," My voice wobbled.

"You're a fool then. You're just a toy for him," His eyes were wide as he continued looking like a man on mission, "Once he is bored with you, he'll discard you"

"You're wrong," I shook my head at him. My eyes burned at his words.

"You don't know what we are to these rich people, they think we're the dirt," His voice wavered then, "They think we can't belong with them"

"They think we're replaceable. All they know to do is use and throw"

If someone would've stabbed me right then, I wouldn't know which would cause greater pain. The knife or my father's venom laced taunts.

"Yash will do the same"

I couldn't stand it anymore. Putting on a brave face I raced out the house that was once my home. As I caught the bus to my office, I let the tears I had withheld flow down my cheeks.

***

:'(