V A A N I: part I

"Baby, you have to color inside the lines," I make the student in front of me realize that his coloring was exceeding the lines. From the corner of my eyes, I spotted Rakhi bhabhi stalk into the room and aim for her almirah.

She got the bunch of keys hanging from her waist and inserted the key into the hole. The lock clicked and the iron almirah opened. I was sure she wouldn't close the almirah gently, she would bang it so the room would vibrate with its impact, a mark of her to remind me that's it her bedroom I'm using right now.

I wasn't disappointed, Rakhi Bhabhi closed the almirah with much force before hanging the keys from her saree. I kept my eyes trained on my student's drawing as I observed the way his hands worked.

"Vaani," Rakhi bhabhi called out my name. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as I looked up.

"Yes?" I met her eyes and watched her face turn into a slight frown.

"Radha has to study to for her exam tomorrow," She said pointing to the group of my students.

Oh good lord, she is the second grade!

"I hope you wrap this up quickly" She didn't wait for my reply as she walked out of the room giving me a dismissing look.

I was glad my students weren't old enough to understand that their teacher was a victim of family politics and had to bow down to everyone just to take a one hour class. That too twice a week.

I was about to tell Piya to use more pressure and grip her crayon tighter when the door opened again. My mother-in-law walked inside with hurried steps.

"My brother and his entire family is coming for dinner," She informed with a bounce in her step and eyes that couldn't stop gleaming. "Why don't you leave them early today? We have so many preparations to do! We have to cook food for over twelve people!"

I hesitated before saying anything. I stood up from my place and walked towards her. Once I was sure I was at a distance from my student, I answered her.

"Mummy, the parents are paying fees for the entire hour. I can't just leave them early"

I tried and hoped the look on my face would some sort of magic and make her understand. She stilled for a moment before craning her neck straight and letting out a small huff after which she walked out without so much as another word.

I sighed before turning back to my students and continuing.

After another thirty minutes, I concluded the class and grabbed my phone as I walked my students out of the house. The minute I stepped out the bedroom, Rakhi bhabhi's daughter ran inside and locked the door from inside.

Its just a bedroom.

I wanted to scream that from the top of my lungs but I held my tongue as I bid my students bye. I watched them pile up in the lift as they smiled and waved at me. After they went, I climbed down the stairs and dialed my husband's number.

He picked up on the forth ring.

"I know Mamaji is coming"

"Of course you would know" I snapped. I heard him sigh before walking out of the shop. The sounds of passerby's increased and I knew he had to this every time I called to get privacy because like I was surrounded by mother and sister-n-law here at home, my husband was surrounded by his brother and father at their family owned shop.

"I'm upset too you know"

"Doesn't sound like it"

"Vaani.... " I could hear the tiredness in his voice but it didn't lessen the irritation in me.

"It's our fifth anniversary" I mumbled into the phone. He didn't say anything for a while.

"Well technically, it's not our marriage anniversary"

"It's more important to me than our marriage anniversary" I groaned as I clutched my head.

"Vaani...-"

"I know we can't do anything about it but please just come home soon"

"Yes, okay."

"Good"

"And Vaani?"

"Hmm"

"We'll go out for some ice cream at night. Just the two of us. I promise"

I didn't comment anything knowing very well that the kitchen will be running till late night meaning I will be inside it working late night. So the question of going out alone with husband is out of the picture.

I hurried back home to find Rakhi bhabhi and mummyji working in the kitchen. I didn't waste anytime in jumping to help them. Sixty thirty to eight, I and bhabhi were busy preparing a grand meal.

We made Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Dal tadka, Jeera rice and roti's. I had suggested we order some snacks from outside but mummji dismissed it saying we could make something at home. Like veg cutlet.

So at eight when the bell rang and guests poured in, I and Bhabhi were busy rolling round cutlets. I smiled and served water to everyone.

Mamaji, mamiji, their son, daughter-in-law and their kids.

"Vaani, you've lost weight!" Mamiji commented as she her brows furrowed and she looked me up and down.

I smiled politely before collecting all the glasses and walking back into the kitchen.

"Did her observations start?" Rakhi bhabhi asked as she churned some green chutney.

"The minute she laid eyes on me" I confirmed and we both shook our heads together.

"What's cooking?" Mamiji's daughter-in-law, Mamta , walked in taking in a lungful air. "Smells nice"

"Why don't you sit outside? We'll set up dinner in some time" Rakhi bhabhi encouraged her but she just strolled inside observing our preparations.

"Oh come on, ladies stick together right?" Mamta bhabhi smiled and sat down beside us. Her orange kurta and gold earring looked stunning as she moved her head around.

"Nice earrings, bhabhi" I commented and watched a satisfied smile form on her lips.

"Thanks, it's a gift" She blushed slightly and I and Rakhi bhabhi exchanged another knowing look.

"Vaani didn't your birthday go by?" Mamta bhabhi asked making my head turn towards her.

"Yes, three weeks ago"

"You turned twenty eight right?" I nodded at her question and tried to get up but she held me from getting up.

She looked into my eyes before wiggling her eyebrows, "Soooooo"

"When are you giving us some good news?"

I stilled at that. My chest tightened and I bit my check from the inside because I didn't want to say anything I would regret. Instead, I gave her tight lipped smile and got up.

My husband stood in the hallway watching me , clearly having heard the words spoken just a few moments ago. I glared at him, narrowing my eyes and went back to my work.

****

Vaani right now....

I know I know. I haven't mentioned the name of the husband.

Thoughts?