V A A N I : part II

"I don't think your Dhaniya is very good," I said after thoroughly inspecting the bunch I was holding. It had spoilt dark green stems stuffed in the inside as if it would go unnoticed.

"Bhabhi, we're only selling what is coming from the farmer's mart" The fellow sitting ahead said.

I shook my head. "Maybe next time then"

I walked ahead trying to be as careful possible so I could avoid sweaty bodies and collision with any. But it was really difficult given the two huge bags I was carrying. They were filled to the brim and weighed a lot so I had to keep them nearer to the ground so I did not sway and trip over my saree and fall.

"Careful Vaani! Looks like you don't have much muscle strength" I turned around to find Preeti walking towards me. I laughed a little and steadied myself as she neared.

"Hi Preeti, how are you?" I asked smiling.

"Fabulous! Did you know how happy I am with Rivaan's improvement in drawing"

"You like it?" I sensed my heart leap at her statements.

"Of course! He loves attending your classes. He doodles in the margin and although they're so tiny I love them! He enjoys it"

Preeti's lips widen as she excitedly filled in me with her child's new found love.

"I'm glad he's liking it so far"

Preeti nodded and we began walking back towards our society.

"Why don't you take more students in your class?"

I felt a pressure on my shoulders as I heard that question. I gripped the bags in my hand tighter and focused on my steps.

"You know, my brother's daughter wants to give some art exam.... What's it called... Ele...Elle...-"

"Elementary exam" I helped her with the name and she nodded.

"Yes, yes. That one. Would you be interested to take her class?"

I chewed on my bottom lip wondering what reason I should give her. Even though I wanted to, I had to reluctantly turn it down.

"Preeti... you know I live in a joint family."

"But you have such an understanding family"

I sighed internally.

"Yes but we're really short on space. I don't even have my own bedroom at the moment"

Preeti leaned back trying to soak my words. She nodded in understanding.

"But you really have talent, don't let it slip behind" She placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a heartwarming smile.

As I walked back to my building, I noticed my husband, Bhavesh, standing by his bike with eyes on me. He jogged towards me and took the bags from my hand and hugged it to his chest while we waited for the lift. I didn't glance in his direction and watched him but I saw him gulping from the corner of my eyes.

"I guess we're sorted for the week," Bhavesh spoke gesturing to the bags in his hold.

I walked inside the empty elevator and waited for him to follow.

"It'll only last two days" I informed him and watched his eyes widen slightly. "We're a family of seven if you forgot"

"Yes, yes" He coughed.

"I want you to get dressed in ten minutes."

"I am dressed" I reminded him as I rolled my eyes.

"Vaani," he groaned. "We're going out. Didn't you see I am early?"