H A R S H : part III

"If you think any harder, I think you'll damage your brain," Aarti's tone was playful as she threw me a glance. I turned to her, forcing a smile as she  hugged herself. The cold was there but it was much subsided as we say here.

The small stream of fresh water flowing just a few meters away from us was running fast. The sound it made as it cut through ash grey rocks was sweet and calming. The tranquility was blissful, it almost transported me back to home, an environment which was familiar and where I could droop my shoulders and pretend that I wasn't always happy.

"What's wrong?" Aarti asked in a small voice this time.

"Nothing" I brushed her question aside as I watched the transparent water race ahead of me.

I looked around to notice that the other couples were busy posing for pictures or were completely engrossed in their partners. The bus had broken down in the way and this gave all of us a perfect opportunity to get down and enjoy the serenity of Manali. The sun was up in the sky so the cold wasn't biting and numbing.

Everyone had decided to get down to the rocks and spend some time as the bus got fixed.

We were surrounded by mountains and tall, thin trees everywhere. The white of snow, free of trees and blue of sky migled together perfectly.

The cool breeze that swept by felt extremely good but the restlessness in me wasn't going away. My insecurities were still hounding me, beating me down. I gulped as I watched a woman come towards us.

The smile on her face was carefree, as if it was the easiest thing to do. Her husband was far away telling her to climb more rocks for the perfect picture. She stumbled a bit and and took support of the surrounding rocks to balance her. It was clear that if she didn't tread slowly, she would crash against the stones.

Before I could think much, I jumped to my feet and went ahead to help her. I realized it was a good decision on my part because the moment I reached her, she slipped and fell forward. I caught her in my arms and steadied her as she gave out a short squeak.

In the distance, her husband yelled for her.

"You okay there?" I asked as she held onto my arms.

"Oh, dear. Oh, dear lord," she chanted as her grip got tighter, "Thank so much, oh dear"

Her natural smile again returned and she looked grateful.l for my support.

"Don't go beyond this, it's not safe" I informed her and watched her nod.

"Yes, yes. I'm going to return from her," she said sheepishly," Oh, dear, you are a fine young man!"

She moved her gaze down my biceps and her eyes widened slightly.

Someone cleared their throat behind me and we both turned to see Aarti standing just a few inches away.

"Yes, my husband takes great care of himself," Aarti said while giving the woman a smile. I wasn't sure if I had imagined it but the word 'husband' felt emphasized. The woman in front of me withdrew her hands and began returning from where she came from. She sent me string of 'thank you's along the way and I smiled in return.

When I was sure she would safely return to her husband, I walked back to where I had been sitting, Aarti followed silently.

"Don't you want to click pictures with me?"

I blinked hard and turned to Aarti, her beady eyes were on me as if studying all that was written across my face.

"Sorry I forgot," I mumbled before I removed my phone from my pocket and opened the camera.