G I R I S H : part II

A heads-up, some people might find this emotional

****

The smell of deep fried samosa tickled my nose as I waited on the platform for the oncoming train. I reminded myself that I had just got my cholesterol in control and I definitely did not need any unhealthy food in my system to ruin the balance I had created.

But one wouldn't hurt, right?

Oh, snap out of it! You've already made preparations for schezwan noodles at home.

Concentrating on the gravel under my brown office shoes I huffed in annoyance. I didn't dare take another deep inhale, I didn't want to risk giving in to the temptation.

And just at the time I need some rescuing, the train whistle blew and I turned my head to the left ready for its arrival. Around me a throng of people hurried to take their positions to get onboard. I calculated the distance between two doors of a boogey and stationed myself at the centre.

When the train slowed and Radhika's coach came in sight, I craned my neck to see inside the train for her. I spotted her near one of the doors and I immediately sprinted to that door.

But Radhika was not alone.

Wrapped in her arms was a bundle of cloth and my heart picked up speed.

What the....

Radhika caught my eye and smiled as I offered her my hand. I probably looked extremely confused as I helped her down. She wasn't carrying any luggage. She just had a baby in her arms.

A baby!

Before I started panicking and thinking about from where she got that child, a lady followed us to where we stood on the platform. It was then that I noticed the familiar purple luggage she was carrying.

The lady who looked no younger than twenty six threw me a shy smile and a man her age came to stop beside her, huffing ad puffing. The man panted as he let the luggage on the ground and bent down to catch his breath.

What was going on?

I turned to Radhika for some explanation but she was busy bouncing the child in her arms and cooing to it.

"Aap Girish bhaiya honge na," the young girl began as she tried to slow down her breath.

I nodded dumbfounded.

"We were so lucky to have Radhika didi in the seat beside us. She helped us with our baby" She explained while her husband was groaning as he wiped his sweaty forehead.

"If you bring extra luggage the next time, I'm going to leave you behind," he grumbled while straightening up and throwing her wife a look. The wife just narrowed her eyes at him.

"I'll take her luggage from here." I said extending my arm and taking the two bags that belonged to my wife. I turned to Radhika and waited but she didn't once lift her eyes to meet mine, her attention was all on the child in her arms.

"Thank you so much for the help, didi," The man said while giving his best smile. The wife then walked to Radhika with her arms open.

"Hum yahan se porter karwa lenge," she said while waiting for her child.

I noticed how Radhika's face fell a bit when she realized she had to give their child back. Reluctantly, she handed the small child back to her mother.

Radhika's finger twisted in their hold and it was then that she looked up at me.

"Chalein?"

***