THE WORD - Chris Evans x Reader!

“You know what happens to children that are sore losers?” Chris asked picking the cards they had been playing with up and putting them back on their box.

“What?” You daughter replied rolling her eyes at him, and crossing her arms.

“The tickle monster comes for them…” He answered in a spooky voice. Starting to tickle her, in an attempt to get her to smile.

Laughter erupting almost instantly as his fingers tickled her sides. Squirming around trying to get him to stop, your daughter mover from one side to the other on the floor. Her contagious laughter making Chris laugh along with her. 

“Daddy, stop!” She screamed with laughter, struggling to get out of Chris’ hold. The words making him freeze in place and stare down at her.

In all the time you and Chris had been together, not once had she called him ‘Dad’ or anything of the sorts. Not even after the two of you had gotten married six months ago. Since she was a baby it had always been just the two of you against the world. And, until Chris came along, she had never really had a paternal image. So, neither of you ever tried pushing her into saying it either.

Since the moment they met for the first time, they had fallen in love with each other. Bonding over Disney, movies, books, food; anything was a good excuse for them to gush about. And let’s not forget about Dodger. Your daughter had always wanted to have a dog, and after meeting Dodge, she was on cloud nine. Taking him out for walks, playing in the backyard. They had a lovely relationship as they were. There was no need for any titles, when they had all the love they needed.

“Hey honeys!” You said leaning against the doorframe capturing their attention. Raising their heads they looked at you without moving from their spot. “Dinner’s ready.” You told them. Your daughter jumping up, and bolting out of her room.

“The last one to get there is a rotten egg!” She yelled, chuckling as she ran through the hallway. Your eyes following her small figure as it disappeared around the corner.

“What happened?” You asked curiously, realizing your husband hadn’t moved yet. His eyes were filled with surprise and in his mouth a small smile lingered.

“She called me ‘daddy’.” He mumbled.

“What?” You asked again, a light chuckle escaping your lips, as his excitement made it hard to understand what he had just said.

“She called me ‘daddy’.” He repeated more clearly this time, finally standing up.

“Oh my God! What?” You questioned understanding now his surprise. “She did?”

“Yes!” He said with excitement wrapping his arms around your waist, his eyes sparkling with joy. He was genuinely happy. For the longest time he had wanted to be a dad, and it was finally happening.

“Well, seems like you’ll have to get used to it now.” You told him playing with his flannel shirt’s collar. “With a baby on the way and all…” You added nonchalantly, turning around and walking away following your daughter’s steps.

“Yeah…” He agreed, mindlessly nodding. “Wait, what?” He yelled jogging after you. “Really?” He asked, his eyes all watery already.

“Yeah.” You said breathlessly, biting your lip.

Without any kind of warning, Chris lifted you up and turned around in circles in the middle of the hallway. His laughter echoing through the walls. His day had just gotten even better.

“I’m gonna be a daddy!” He squealed putting you back down on the floor and planting a kiss on your forehead. His right hand placed on the still unnoticeable belly. His cheeks hurting from how much he was smiling.

“You wanna know what else you’re gonna be?” You asked, making Chris stare at you with confusion. “A rotten egg.” You said before jogging the rest of the way towards the dinning room.

“I don’t care!” He yelled back at you, both hands in the air. “We’re having a baby…” He whispered now, to himself. It was hard to believe. His heart was bursting with happiness. Their family was getting bigger.