THE SET UP- Henry Cavill x Reader

Seven years ago was the last time you had seen Henry. In person at least that is. So when you heard that he was coming back to Jersey to attend a high school reunion event you were thrilled. You didn’t really want to go to the event at first, finding them pointless. Why the hell would you want to see a bunch of people who didn’t even talk to you that much -or at all- during your younger years. You felt like people only organized that kind of events in order to brag about how far they’d made it in life; how much money they made; how many times they’d been married. And nothing of that interested you at all. Except one of the guests, Henry.

You met when you were only kids, and never separated after that. Everything you did, you did together. Your father always joked about how you two would end up married. And as much as you would’ve liked that, it clearly wasn’t the case. Henry was now living in a different place, hanging with different people; always surrounded by the most beautiful women in the world. If he was out of your reach before, now more than ever. Or so you thought.

***

The only reason why Henry had agreed to attend the high school reunion was because it was the perfect excuse to see you again. To know how you were doing. It had been ages since the last time he had seen or heard from you, and a million questions crossed his mind every time he thought of you. Were you still single? Were you married? Did you have any kids already? Were you still living in Jersey or have you moved somewhere else? Maybe this time he’d get some of the answers.

Standing in front of your door, he knocked a couple times. Taking a few steps back he waited patiently for you to open it.

“Hello! How can I help you?” A guy about you age, maybe younger asked opening the door.

“Uhm, I think I got the wrong house…” Henry said looking back at the number.

“Were you looking for someone in particular?” He asked politely.

“Yes, her name’s Y/N. I don’t know if you’ve heard it, or know her… maybe she’s one of your neighbors…” He said starting to ramble.

“Ah yes. Yes, she lives here. Wait, let me call her…” The guy said before disappearing. Henry’s heart shrinking at the thought of you being with someone else.

“Henry?” She asked opening the door and finding him there, staring down at the flowers. Looking up at you he found himself out of breath. You looked just like he remembered you. Better than he remembered, even. The sparkle in your eyes the same as when you were children. The same ones he liked so much. “Hi stranger! How did you get my address?” You asked, after pressing a kiss on his cheek.

“I have my contacts.” He said smiling proudly.

“You went to my childhood home and asked my mom, didn’t you?” You questioned. The blush on his cheeks letting you know you had hit the blanc. “Come in!” You told him, but he declined your offer, not really wanting to see the house you shared with that man. “We haven’t seen each other in years, and you’re telling me you just came by to say ‘hi’?” You asked.

“Alright, only for a bit.” He said finally giving in. In all the years you had spent together, he had never been able to say ‘no’ to you. It seemed like you still had that power.

“I see you’ve already met Tom.” You commented as you walked inside the house and into the living room.

“I have, yeah…” He said. “How long have you…”

“…been his cousin for?” You said finishing the sentence for him. “Since he was born, I think.” You replied pretending to be deep in thought. Henry sighed with relief, and noticing this you decided you joke a little more. “My husband is put of town, and he’s helping me out with the twins…” You told him watching all the blood instantly drain from his face. “I’m joking.” You explained, and saw him finally him relax.

“I heard your attending the reunion event on Friday is that right?” You asked turning the kettle on.

“Yeah, well… I was gonna be in town during the time so I figured, why not?” He replied, and you stared at him smiling with eyebrows raised not believing a word he said. He disliked those events as much as you did. “What?” He asked.

“Nothing.” You shook your head. “It’s nice seeing you again Cavill.” You told him.

“It’s nice seeing you too Y/L/N…” He told you. “And what about you? Are you attending?”

“I wasn’t planning on.” You told him. “You know I don’t like that kind of gatherings. Everyone bragging about how they are on their sixth marriage, and I haven’t even gotten married once…” You joked pretending to be sad, making him laugh. “Maybe if I found myself a hot date so I can rub it in their faces… You didn’t happen to bring any of your hot actor friends with you, did you?” You playfully asked him.

“I’m afraid not.” He said raising his shoulders. “But I think I can help you out with that.” He added.

“Really?” You asked unbelieving. “You’re gonna set me up with someone?” He nodded. “I was just playing…” You told him.

“Too late now.” Henry told you.

“Are you serious?” You asked, and he nodded again. “Who are you thinking of?”

“You’ll see…”

***

Friday had finally come. And now more than ever you were cursing your big mouth. Henry had promised he’ll find you a date for the event, and refused to give you any details on the guy he was going to set you up with, leaving you in the dark.

Checking yourself in the mirror for the millionth time, you sighed once again. If this person didn’t show up any time soon you’d start to leave a trail on the circle you’d been walking on. From the mirror to the window, and from the window back to the mirror.

Three knock on the door were enough to make your heart stop. The sudden realization that a complete stranger was waiting for you outside that door making you shiver. And even though you trusted Henry with every bit of yourself, and knew he wouldn’t set you up with some creep, you were nervous. 

“Hey!” You said opening the door to find a very handsomely dressed-up Henry. “What happened?” You asked, figuring your date had ditched you last minute.

“I’m here…” He said.

“I know, I see you.” You told him, with a chuckle. “Where’s my date? Couldn’t find one? Did he ditch me already?” You asked making him laugh this time.

“I’m here.” Henry repeated. “I’m your date.”

“You’re setting me up with yourself?” You asked, not taking him very seriously.

“That’s right.” He responded. “Don’t look at me like that!” He asked, noticing how you were staring at him. You just shook you head, rolling your eyes.

“Very well, we better leave then.” You said closing the door right behind you.

“You look stunning.” He told you, offering his arm for you to hold onto.

“Henry!” You said accepting it, and placing your head on his shoulder to hide your flushed cheeks.

To say the party was dull was an understatement. Your regretted the decision to attend the minute you walked in. A few old class mates surrounded Henry as soon as they saw him cross the threshold, making you roll your eyes. Henry caught you in the exact moment and shaking his head he smiled.

It was a disaster. Whenever you tried to talk, you couldn’t even hear the other over all the noise. And all the people gathered inside that small room was beginning to cripple you with anxiety. Noticing this, Henry grabbed your hand and quickly led you outside.

“What happened?” You asked chuckling out of breath due to the short run, placing a hand on top of your chest.

“Nothing.” He replied still holding your hand in his, and making you go for a walk with him. The fresh air caressing your skin as you walked.

“Sorry it sucked.” Henry said after some meters of silence.

“It’s alright.” You told him. “I didn’t have very high expectations…” You chuckled, making him do so as well.

“My date was pretty decent tho.” You added stopping under a street light.

“Mine too.” He said standing in front of you. “But having to read her lips that much made me realize there’s something I’d rather do instead…” He added cupping one side of your face with his free hand.

“What’s that?” You whispered.

He didn’t answer. He showed you instead. Closing the distance and devouring your lips, like he had wanted to do for the longest time. Standing slightly on your tip toes, you placed your hand behind his neck bringing him impossible closer as you melted into one. In a kiss that should’ve happened ages ago, but that the wait made much more special.

"I can't believe we didn't do this sooner." He said pressing his forehead against yours, as you pulled back for air.

“Me either.” You replied biting your lower lip. “Should we do it again?” You asked.

“Oh, definitely.” He said wasting cero time and kissing you again.