ROBERT'S DINNER PARTY - Chris Evans x Reader

It is no news how much Robert enjoys hosting the people he loves. During your time working together, he did it every chance he could. Whether it was a pre-filming lunch party, a wrap up dinner party, a “premier eve” dinner, or even in between shooting scenes from the movies. He always found a way to gather the cast.
On this occasion, he had invited every member of the cast for dinner at his place. You were excited for it. You had been wanting to meet with the rest of the cast for a long time, with everyone’s busy schedules including your own it was no easy task.

But what about your ex you might ask? Well… you really wanted to see him too. Chris and you had broke things off in good terms and, because you still had a couple movies to work together on, you opted to remain friends. Was it hard? Absolutely. Did you miss him? Of course! Chris was one of your best friends before the two of you began dating.  However after the break up things got a little awkward between the two. Did you still have feelings for him? Hell yeah! Where you gonna admit to it? Hell no! You were an actress after all, you just had to play the part you had played for the last two years after the break up. You were kind of a pro at it by now. Or so you believed. 

Nervously fixing your dress, finding it still a little strange to arrive alone at the event, you made your way towards the door. A text notification on your phone distracting you as you walked. Without taking your eyes off the phone you raised your hand to ring the bell only for it to be met by someone else’s hand. Startled by the feeling your eyes shoot in the direction of whoever was also trying to ring the bell.  Your gaze meeting with those baby blue eyes you had so convinced yourself you were over. His face expression replicating yours as he was too holding his phone on his hand. Clearly neither of you had been paying attention.

“Hi.” You said both in unison, the door instantly opening preventing either of you to say another word.

“Well, hello!” Robert said cheekily, surprised to find you both together at his door. “Who would have thought?” He commented taking a step to the side to let you guys in.

“It was just a coincidence.” You said rolling your eyes at him as you approached him for a hug.

“Uh-huh.” RDJ said signaling you to make yourself comfortable. “So…?” You heard him slyly ask Chris, making him sigh.

“Just a coincidence.”

“Well too bad.” Robert said closing the door and walking right behind you. “Hey guys! Look who is here?” He yelled and every in the room greeted the two of you. The look on their faces the same Robert had had moments ago.

“Aunt N/Y!” Little Rose yelled running towards you and wrapping her arms around your waist like she always did. Avri following her suit and doing the same thing.

“Hi my loves!” You said wrapping your arms around both girls. “How are you?”

“Good! Avri and I were just coloring, would you like to see?” The six-year-old asked.

“Rose, honey. Leave Y/N alone for a minute. She just arrived.” Scarlett told her daughter.

“Okay.” Said the little girl.
“It’s alright, how about I take a look at it later?” You told the two girls giving them a wink.

“Great! I’ll make one for you.” Rose yelled, Avri joining her as they happily ran back to the small table they were coloring on. 

Turning back towards the adults you found your ex boyfriend staring at you. His eyes quickly drifting away as they were met by yours. 

“Y/N, Hi!” Tom said excitedly approaching you and wrapping his arms around you.

“Looks like all the kids are onto you…” Anthony commented standing up from his seat and walking towards you and shaking hands with Chris. “Alright, leave room for the adults now.” He told Tom moving him away from you so he could hug you.

“How’ve you been?”

“All’s good. Come, I saved you a seat right beside me.” He said.

“How great!” You sarcastically said as a joke, as he guided you towards the table while you greeted the rest of the cast.

The night went marvelously. Filled with delicious food, like always, and a handful of laughter as everybody shared their anecdotes from set and press tour interviews. It was like no time had happened since the last time you had met. And no, it wasn’t awkward that your ex boyfriend had been sat right in front of you the whole night. Or that every anecdote reminded you of the good times the two of you had shared together for the past five years. Not. At. All.
So when bed time came for the kids and they begged for you to read them a story before going to sleep, you agreed more than gladly and excusing yourself you walked away from the table.

You loved spending time with the kids, and you were often the one who willingly babysat them whenever their parents were shooting and you were not. You would so often read stories to them that it had kind of become a tradition. They loved it.
At some point during your reading everyone had fallen asleep. And when I say everyone, that included you too. Maybe it was the low lightning, or the quietness, or Rose’s calm heartbeat as she laid on your chest. You didn’t know but, at some point you had fallen asleep too.

“You still have feelings for her don’t you?” Scarlett asked, startling Chris as she approached him from behind.

“What makes you think that?”

“Well, first of all, because you came here to ask her if she wanted some coffee half an hour ago but you’ve just been staring longingly at her.  And mostly because it’s so freaking obvious!”

“It is?” Chris asked with a little bit of doubt in his voice.

“You’ve been staring at her the whole night! And not just tonight, you always do.” She told him. “And…” She said leaning closer to him to whisper. “I know you waited outside for her to arrive so you could do it together.” She whispered, making Chris feel like a child who had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. His  cheeks turning a crimson red. “Oh yeah.” She smiled walking past him and entering the room stepping over some toys and waking you up in the process.

“Oh God, I fell asleep!” You said with realization. “What are you guys doing here?” You asked your two cast mates.

“We just came to check if you wanted some coffee…” Scarlett said.

“One might say I could use some,” You joked. “but I think I better get going.” You added carefully placing Rose on the bed right next to Avri.

“You sure?” She asked.

“Yeah, I have an early shoot tomorrow, and you know how tough mornings are on me.” You joked walking towards them and leaving the room.

“You are leaving so soon?” Susan asked watching you gather your things, you simply nodded and repeated the same excuse you had given Scarlett minutes earlier. 

“I’ll walk you out.” Robert said placing a hand on your shoulder. 

“I had a great time tonight, thank you. It was lovely seeing you guys again.” You thanked Robert as you walked to your car, but instead of an answer your got a gasp from your friend. “What?” Your asked turning to him and then towards whatever he was looking at. “Oh, c’mon!” You yelled realizing you had two flat tires.

“How?” You asked yourself examining them, they were just fine a few hours ago.

“Let’s go back inside so you can call for assistance.” Robert said.

“Alright.”

“You’re back?” Chris asked, his eyes gleaming for a second.

“There was an inconvenience.” Robert commented.

“I have to call the tow truck.” You replied in almost a whine. 

“It’s quite late, they’re gonna take a while…” Anthony commented joining the conversation.

“I can take you.” Chris abruptly offered. “I was on my way out anyways…” He added gaining  himself a look from Anthony calling him out on him bullshit.

“You were?” You questioned focusing on him. Chris was rarely one to go home early and you knew it well.

“Yeah…” He assured you. Mackie smiling smugly right beside him.

“Okay.” You agreed. You really needed to get home after all.

“Great!” He said clearing his throat right after, in order to cover his excitement. “Let me just grab my jacket and we’re good to go.”
And so it went, in less than five minutes the two of you were on the road. He had even opened the door for you as he always did. And you were sure everyone had watched the two of you from inside the house. It was as if they could not resign to the fact that the two of you were not together anymore.

“So, early shoot tomorrow huh?” Chris said awkwardly trying to make conversation.

“Yup. A perfume campaign.” You responded.

“Oh, nice.” He said bobbing his head and bumping the wheel. “I always love the way you smell.” He absentmindedly commented making you chuckle. His cheeks burning at the realization of what had just slipped from his lips.

“I know.” You replied trying to cover your laugh. “You always smell nice too.” You added with a light chuckle trying to make him relax again.

“I know.” He replied laughing too. If only you knew he wore your favorite specially for you.

The rest of the trip was easy. No awkwardness, no tension. Just the quiet sound of the music playing on the radio. And it had always been like that after the break up. Five minutes of awkwardness and then in comfort just like before.

“Hold on.” Chris said pulling into your driveway. Then stepping out of the car and around it to open the door for you.

“So chivalry’s still not dead I see.” You joked as he helped you out.

“Never.” He replied. “Specially for you.” He subtly added closing the door and walking you to your front door.

“Thank you for bringing me home Chris.” You said.

“Anything for you.” He responded. That gleam in his eyes back for a moment.

“Goodnight Chris, drive safely.” You told him.

“Goodnight.” He said turning to leave.

“Hey, um, Y/N?”

“Yeah?” You said hopefully, forgetting about your keys and turning around to face him.

“It was nice seeing you again…” He said hiding his cowardice behind a smile. That was definitely not what he wanted to say. Or what he wanted to do.

“It was nice seeing you too Chris.”