reputation: the music chapter

(All songs in this chapter are either by Harry Styles or Taylor Swift <3)

[A black screen with voiceovers]

VOICE ONE: "Harry Styles is like a snake."

VOICE TWO: "He's the embodiment of fake. I don't think I've ever seen someone so shocked by anything. Especially after winning as much as he has."

VOICE THREE: "We all know they got permission. There's proof of it! He's lying and looking to play the victim. Again."

VOICE FOUR: "Nobody is that nice. It's all just an act to stay famous."

VOICE FIVE: "Why is Harry Styles famous anyway? All he does is write songs about his exes. He needs to move on and calm down."

VOICE SIX: "Honestly, Harry Styles is one of the worst people I can think of, and no one would disagree."

[Screenshots of tweets start to fade onto the screen. HARRY's voice reads them out as they appear]

HARRY: "Harry Styles is untalented."

HARRY: "Who even cares about Harry Styles?"

HARRY: "Imagine listening to Harry Styles."

HARRY: "Harry styles? The serial dater? I'll pass."

HARRY: "#harrystylesisoverparty."

[HARRY appears on the screen. He's sitting with one leg crossed over the other, tea in his hand]

HARRY: (amused) "I'm having a great time so far; this is doing wonders for me."

[The screen goes black. 'reputation: the music chapter' fades in letter-by-letter. After several seconds, cheering starts to sound in the background and gets louder until HARRY is on the screen again]

HARRY: "So, yeah, I'm alive. I've been away for quite some time. For just over a year, no one saw me, no one heard from me."

HARRY: (overly cheerful) "You know, it was quite a lovely break. The media destroyed me, ripped me to shreds, and then I wanted to die for a bit, but it went okay, you know, I wrote some songs, played with some snakes."

HARRY: (gesturing with his tea, worrying the people behind the camera) "It was very interesting. A lot went down, and, you know, you have to remove yourself from the narrative sometimes, which is what I've learned, and it was a good time to take a break. I think I really needed it. It really helped me, and it also helped the world bring out all of their thoughts like," (mocking) " 'I hate Harry Styles because he exists and he was comfortable with himself, and he said he didn't want something untrue about him to be out there.' "

HARRY: (sarcastic) "Honestly, you know, of course, that is a very valid reason to send death threats to someone. I agree, thank you very much."

[The screen goes black again. 'lights up' appears and lingers for a bit before disappearing]

HARRY: " 'lights up' was kind of a personal song to me, but also, it was very vague. I think, obviously, the video for it is something on its own, and I think you can- you can look at it and be like, 'oh okay, this is what the song is about, maybe, this is what you're trying to tell us. If you're telling us anything. Are we looking too much into it? Are we not looking enough into it?' I don't know. I think people can- can look at the songs, and I'm not going to tell them that they are entirely wrong, but I will tell you, whatever you think it is, it's probably correct."

['look what you made me do']

HARRY: "This is definitely one of my favourite songs that I wrote, and I wrote it kind of before, I guess, my big comeback, and it's one of the songs that helped shape the album. There are a lot of references in this song and in the video that come across quite strongly, and then there are a lot of hidden things that you'd have to really look for in it. It was an interesting song to write; just putting everything out there and, you know, talking about getting literally stabbed in the back- wow, not literally, but like also it kind of- it fit the whole reputation theme of the album, you know? Like, my reputation got absolutely destroyed, and it was, it took a hard hit, and I was like, 'okay, well, I'm taking that, and I'm going to spin it and make it work for me now.' "

['so it goes...']

HARRY: (with a flushed face) "As I said earlier, I think you can tell by the lyrics what the song is about. All I'm going to say is that everybody has a 'Titanic for the first time face,' and that's it."

['king of my heart']

HARRY: (with soft eyes and happiness laced throughout his voice) "This song means a lot, I think, to me, and the person it's about because it's one of the songs that, I think, really shows how much I love them, and it's one of the love-related songs, but it's on the happier side. It's- it's kind of like, 'you're the one that I want to spend my time with, and I just need you, and it's- it's different this time compared to everyone else that I've been with before, and I think you and I are going to last.' "

['falling']

HARRY: (fiddling with the ring on his index finger) " 'falling is-' I think 'falling' is the most vulnerable song on the album. It- it was written, and it came from the lowest point, I think, of my life I just- lowest point especially from that time when I went away, and it was, you know, visually like, as seen in the video, I was drowning but also, I think, on my own. I was really alone. For the first time in forever, I was alone, and that was so scary and so tough to deal with."

['to be so lonely']

HARRY: "I like to keep this one up to interpretation. Some people say it's from my point of view. Some say that it's kind of like a voice mail. Others say it's a bit of both. I like all of those answers; I think they're pretty cool. What's really clear is that it is about me being jealous and how I'm arrogant. It also goes back to one of my other songs called 'Sweet Creature' and how we're both stubborn people."

['she']

HARRY: (excitedly) " 'she' is definitely one of my favourite songs instrumentally. The bass guitar and the solo- guitar solo by Mitch is phenomenal. I don't even think- it like- it's so good! How does anyone even like- what?"

HARRY: (laughing to himself) "I know people have said that I fell out of the window, and that's why it's there. I am not going to confirm or deny."

['gorgeous']

HARRY: (eyes sparkling) " 'gorgeous' was really fun- 'gorgeous' was a lot of fun. It's about someone very special to me, and when I sang it for them the first time, they laughed at me and then laughed some more. From that, I think they liked it, and then we danced to it together when it was first recorded, so I think that's really good. It goes with 'to be so lonely.' It's kind of like, 'do you think it's easy being of the jealous kind?' "

['kiwi']

HARRY: "I like fruit- I like fruit, and I like metaphors."

['this is why we can't have nice things']

HARRY: "I was always one for second chances, and I learned that there's a point when you need to stop giving second chances because some people choose to take your forgiveness, turn it on its head, and then stab you with it. Getting let down and hurt by some people repeatedly just gets tiring, so that's what this is about. I chose to end the album with this because you know, start the album with some nice self-acceptance and then end with 'hey listen, I know, and I can't even begin to forgive you because I find it so incredibly funny how terrible you are.' "

[HARRY laughs to himself before the screen fades to black. 'reputation: the personal chapter' abruptly arrives, as an unreleased song titled 'end game' plays in the background]