thunderstorms

[2:00 AM]

Lou: Harry

Lou: Haz

Lou: Hazza

Lou: Hazzzz

Haz: It's twp in the morninf

Lou: I can't sleep

Haz: Why csn't you let me slep thwn

Lou: Bc I want you to sleep here with me

Haz: Come over here then

Lou: Hazzzzz

Haz: I'm not walking out rn

Lou: But I can't sleep

Haz: Hug your pillow and pretend I'm there

Lou: Pls come over

Haz: It's so late

Lou: It's only a two minute walk

Lou: Please haz

Lou: hsabdhksbk

Haz: Oh no

Haz: Hang on

Haz: I'm on my way

Lou: Hurry haz

Haz: I'm just grabbing my umbrella okay love?

Haz: You're safe

Read 2:12 AM

Harry shoves his phone into his pocket before opening his umbrella and stepping into the crisp spring air. Streetlights illuminate the empty sidewalk and reflect off the crystal pools of water that had developed earlier in the night.

Harry adores rain. He enjoys watching the dark clouds blanket the sky, indicating the presence of the gloomy weather. Yet while Harry savours the moody atmosphere and often spends his time enveloped in it, Louis despises it.

Louis associates rain with thunderstorms, which generates immense fear in him. When a storm hits, Louis calls upon Harry to protect him from the outside world. Harry never minds too much. It's an excuse to hold his boyfriend close.

Lightning flashes, alerting Harry of the thunder that will follow. As it flashes, Harry's phone goes off, and he slows to answer it.

"Harry, Harry," Louis hiccups. "Please-"

"Lou, darling, I'm almost there," Harry pauses to observe his surroundings. "I'm just next door."

"Hurry," Louis responds, his voice small and broken.

Louis hangs up, and Harry quickens his pace, anxious to comfort his boyfriend.

[2:16 AM]

Lou: ty for being here

Haz: Why are you texting me

Lou: Because I wanted to thank you?

Read 2:16 AM

Harry rolls his eyes as he tosses his phone onto Louis' nightstand. He looks down at the smaller boy and runs his fingers through his hair. Louis shudders into Harry's chest as thunder erupts through the room, breaking the silence.

"I got you, babes."

Tears begin to roll down Louis' cheeks, and he curls further into Harry's embrace. Harry wraps his arms around the boy as he starts to tremble, fear overtaking him. He clutches Harry's sweater tight in his hands and squeezes his eyes shut.

"Hey, hey, you're freezing."

Louis sniffles as Harry shuffles awkwardly in an attempt to pull his sweater off. He succeeds and passes the warm material towards Louis. Feeling cold and drained, Louis tugs it down over his head. Harry smiles fondly at how small Louis looks in his clothes. He tightens his hold on the boy and presses a kiss to the top of his head. "My tiny Lou. Mine, mine, mine."

"No," Louis whispers, his eyes drooping shut. "I'm not tiny. I'm big."

"Tiny Lou, tiny Lou," Harry repeats as Louis' breathing slows down.

And as if Louis falling asleep soothed the earth, the thunder stopped. The only sound left was the rain on the roof, its gentle pitter-patter lulling Harry to sleep.