6

He didn't know why he was waiting at the balcony in the House of the Wind. Azriel was already up before the sun rose up into the sky. He was standing in the wind, watching the world get colour, smelling the love of Velaris.
    But there was no sign of Aurora.
    He didn't know why he expected her to come. Their short conversation from yesterday made him think she might want to discover more about her shadows.
    Made him think she might take the dare to come here, even though she did not like people around her.
    But it turned out he was a hopeful fool.
    She didn't come.

"Do you like cake?" asked Feyre when she cut it into small slices. Aurora was sitting at the counter table, shrugging.
    "It's been too long ago since I ate it. I can't remember." She shrunk and Feyre did the same. Even when she was a poor, hungry girl she knew what cake tasted like.
   And this one was filled with nuts and seeds, with honey on top. She handed over a slice. Aurora was hiding in her shadows, only those glowing eyes were in sight.
    "Well, my sister is a good baker." Feyre smiled at Aurora. The girl in the shadows did not smile back. "I have two sisters, actually."
    "Oh?"
    Feyre could see the curiosity on her face and started to talk. Maybe Aurora didn't want to talk. Maybe she just wanted to listen, before she decided to talk.
    "Elain and Nesta. They're both totally different."
    "I haven't seen Nesta."
    Feyre nodded. "She lives on her own, works in the library. We don't see her that often." A short smile appeared on her face and Aurora nodded, like she understood.
   "I've heard Azriel was here yesterday," Feyre said after Aurora didn't open her mouth. "I hope he was kind." She knew he was, but she wanted a reaction. And know why he had come, what he wanted to know. It was undoubtedly about the shadows, but there had to be more.
    "He really was."
    "Good." Another smile, no reaction from Aurora. "Do you want to come into the city today?"
    Aurora her eyes grew. "I... I don't know if that's a good idea."
   "Why not?" Feyre nibbled on her cake and waited until Aurora dared to answer.
    "I don't think it's safe."
    Feyre tried not to explore her shadows with her magic, because she got way too curious. What did she mean?
    "Why?"
    Aurora stood up. Shit, was the only thought that went through Feyre. Rhys wasn't able to read her mind anymore, so they had no idea why Aurora was avoiding people.
    "It's not safe," Aurora repeated. "I'll be in my room."
    And that was it.

Azriel heard about Aurora. He wondered, just like everyone else, why she thought it was dangerous to go outside.
    They say down around the table, asking questions that only Aurora could answer. And even though she was grateful of everything she got, she refused to talk.
    But Rhys came up with a solution.
    They summoned Nesta.
    At first Feyre's sister didn't want to come, but after telling about Aurora's situation, she decided to listen. Nesta, after all, took a part of the Cauldron. Maybe she could understand Aurora better.
    "What do you want me to do?" asked Nesta after she sat down with a straight back. Only because Cassian would be with her, she was here. And because Nesta had a weak spot for women that went through a hard time.
    "Just talk to her," was the only thing Feyre asked of her sister. "She seems damaged. We can't get close to her. But she's like..."
    The eyes of the High Lady slowly gazed off the Azriel. He locked eyes with Nesta when she looked at him as well.
   "Like you?" Nesta raised a cocky eyebrow.
    "Yes," he answered. "She had shadows, just like I do. But... there's more behind it we don't understand."
    Nesta nodded. "And now you want me to interrogate her? Not your best choice."
    "No, we just want you to..." Rhys took a deep breath. "We want you to touch her shadows."
    A silence filled the room and Azriel felt very uncomfortable. He insisted that he was the one to get near Aurora. That he was supposed to be the one to touch her shadows, to see what her reaction would be.
He didn't want to scare her.
But Nesta nodded. "Okay. I'll do it."