11

Azriel was waiting for Aurora in the dining room. And he waited a long time, just like that morning.
He waited and waited.
And when the clock told him it was 11 in the morning, Aurora walked into the dining room. He didn't stand up to greet her.
Her eyes were big, heavy and purple circles were under them.
"Good morning, Aurora," he said and waited for her to sit down in front of him.
"Good morning," she whispered back and sat down. Her eyes never left him. He could see that she also barely slept, that she was thinking about that dark space.
That she was able to touch him.
"Didn't sleep well?" he asked and the House gave Aurora a light digestible breakfast.
She shook her head and took a bite of her egg. "No."
"Me neither."
A moment long they just stared at each other, their shadows dancing around each other but never touching.
Then he cleared his throat.
"I am here today to train you," he said.
"I'm not sure if that's a good idea."
Azriel leaned towards her and Aurora gasped for air, softly.
"Aurora," he said soft. "I know Death is looking over your shoulder, but your shadows are yours. And they consume you."
Just like now. They held her, hid her.
"You don't need to hide."
"If I don't, people die." She choked on her own words. "I'm sorry," she said fast when she realised what she had said.
"You're right," he said. "But you still need to get them under your own control."
Aurora was eyeing her breakfast for a long while. Took tiny bites. Azriel just waited. Like before. And he would keep waiting.
"Okay." She locked eyes with him and he felt his heart skip a beat. "Train me."

Azriel could hear her heart beat in a scared rhythm.
"Are you sure this is safe?" she asked with an uneasy voice. Eyes filled with horrors she watched how Azriel spread his wings. Then she looked at the House of the Wind. Far, far above them in the clouds.
    It made her swallow.
"Totally safe."
"I don't want to make you fall."
If Death took over, Azriel would fall to his death. Aurora would live, because Death would not take her in. Not when she was his window to the living world.
"Here," he said and reached out his damaged hand.
She looked at the scars, but he knew she wasn't scared of them. She was scared of herself.
"You could do it yesterday," he reminded her. "You can also do it today."
She took a deep breath and slowly placed her hand in his. Her hand was tiny, soft and warm. Azriel folded his fingers over hers and a careful smile decorated her full lips.
"You see?" he said and Aurora placed another hand over their intertwined fingers.
"I'm sorry," she said when she realised how they were holding each other's hands. "I just... I never really held hands like this before. I can't even remember the last time I did..."
Azriel placed his free hand over hers and gave a little squeeze. The tiny smile became a bit bigger on her face.
"Don't apologise," he said and her eyes looked in his brown ones.
He stepped closer to her and her eyes grew big. "Just hold on tight, now you know you can." Azriel dared to wink at her and Aurora's breathing stopped for a second.
He wrapped his big arms around her legs and her back. Aurora placed her arms around his neck and pushed herself close to him.
"I hold you tight, if you hold me tight," she said with a shaky voice. "I've never been high in the air before."
Azriel chuckled. "Not even on a mountain?"
She shook her head and her breath was unsteady. "No." To reassure her, he held her tighter. Aurora clamped her arms around him.
"Just enjoy the flight."
He shot into the air and Aurora let out a scream. "Oh, Mother! Oh Mother!" she yelled out in fear and Azriel grinned. He flew higher and higher, so she could see the entire city.
Aurora pushed her face in his neck.
"It's fine, Aurora!" he said loud, above the song of the wind. "You can take a look!"
"I'm afraid I'll faint," she said and her scent filled his nose. She smelled like rain and honey. For some reason it made his mouth water.
"I'll hold you," he promised her. He heard her take a good few deep breaths. Then she cautiously looked around them. And then she looked down.
"On the Cauldron, don't let me fall!"
Azriel couldn't keep his laugh in when he saw her shocked face. "I made a promise, didn't I?"
She carefully smiled and looked down at the city. At the mountains, the sea in the distance. Aurora admired Velaris.
"I've never seen such a beautiful city," she said in awe. "And definitely not like this."
Azriel smiled at her. "Ready to train?"