Chapter 9- Goodbye Suits

A/N Shorter than most, but I have alot of Ideas for the next chapter

Emily P.O.V

Anger pulses through my veins and it clouds my judgment. Betrayal breaks my heart into a million pieces and thinking of what they’re going to do, it just crushes me. Tears threaten the back of my eyes and a lump forms in my throat. I shake my head.

No! You will not cry. You don’t cry, no reason to cry. Crying never fixes anything, it makes you look weak and vulnerable. It makes… it makes you overthink everything and it helps you want to blame other people for your mistakes.

“Alice, give me a quote.” I say, wanting to feel down and the next thing she says hits me in the heart.

“Smile live you’ve never cried, fight like you’ve never lost, love like you’ve never been hurt and live like you’ll die tomorrow.” Yup, there goes my message about tears.

“Thank you, Alice.” I choke out and begin overthinking like any girl would. I begin thinking I should go visit my mother’s grave, but it would be most logical for S.H.I.E.L.D to know that I would’ve gone there. I can’t go to the sight where the building crushed. I don’t want to go back to my workshop.

I need to move without my suits. Yes, they’re not traceable, but a sightings would set S.H.I.E.L.D off. I pull out a few thousand that I forgot was emergency money in every suit. I had enough for a stone for my mom.

I drop to the ground in a random small town in Tennessee. I retract my suit and turn to it longingly, knowing I won’t see it for a while, probably.

“Alice, return my suits to base. Place them in separate cases and turn off the emotions. I don’t want them moving or anything. I just want them on guard waiting for a signal from me.” I say and I watch my suit take to the sky and out of my vision a few seconds later.

I look at the little town that’s not that far away. I begin my long trudge towards the town.

The sky becomes darker and the sky begins to rumble. Coolness flows through the area and it whips my clothes. My hair whips in front of my face. I lick my chapped lips and after about twenty minutes of walking in the going to be stormy weather, I arrive.

I walk into the town and look around. I notice a diner at a corner and I begin trudging slowly towards it. I open the door and the bell rings, a women looks up from the counter at me. I look around and the place is deserted.

“Is this still open?” I ask her as I walk to the counter. She looks at me like I’m crazy.  

“Darlin, there is a huge storm coming.” She says and I nod my head, getting off the stool. “Do you have a place to stay?” She asks and I shake my head. She motions for me to come closer. “You can stay here till the end of the storm.” She says and I shake my head.

“Ma’am, I can’t do that to you.” I say and begin walking towards the door. She calls out to me again.

“Don’t be a dumb darling, there isn’t a hotel in this town and people have already gone under. A massive tornado is coming and you’re the only one out.” She says.

Great, I stop in a town about to get mauled by a tornado.

“When you say it that way…” I trail off. “Do you need any help with anything?” I ask her and she begins hurrying around.

“We need to get down now.” She says and grabs my arm and drags me down a lane of stairs. A loud whistling fills the air, almost like a train. I hear the loud shatter of glass and the loud rumbling of the shaking building.

The sounds of the wind whipping wind chimes and loose pieces of siding. Creaking of walls take me out of my state and I look over at the lady. She watches me closely, probably shocked that I’m not freaking out. I’ve been through much worse.

I crawl over to a wall and lay my back against it. My thoughts move to what happened.

Why would S.H.I.E.L.D. want to assassinate me? I’m so confused. I haven’t meant any harm at all.

A while later the lady and I crawl out of the stairs and upward. Glass is sprawled across the ground. China glasses cracked or demolished. Chairs tipped over and water leaks across the linoleum flooring. After a few minutes of silence, looking at the wreck, the lady speaks up.

“So Sugar, What’s your name?” She asks me and I turn to her with a hand out.

“Emily Andrews, Ma’am.” I say with a bright smile and she grabs my hand shaking it with a smile.

“I’m Darla Hearting.” I grin and look around.

“So do we clean this up now…?” I ask her and she nods her head.

“As much as we can do. It’ll probably take a while till it is in tip top shape.” She says with a sigh and grabs a broom.

“Don’t you need to check the outside, to make sure the building won’t fall? It seems that it is in perfect condition on the inside, but something majorly wrong could’ve happened on the outside.” I say to her and she looks at me.

“Would you go do that?” She asks and I nod my head with a smile. I walk around the building checking for anything. A half hour later I walk back in with a smile.

“Looks alright.” I say to her and she smiles. Off in the corner is another broom and I grab it. We get plenty of piles of glass. We carefully sweep them into trash bags and I wipe the sweat off my forehead.

“Dang, even though it was a tornado it left us with a hot day.” I say and wipe more sweat off my forehead.

“Yeah, you’ll get used to it if you stay here.” She says and I smile nodding my head.

“I don’t think this is such a bad town. It seems safe, since my mom died not that long ago.” I slap a hand over my mouth and she looks at me with sympathy.

“I’m sorry, Emily.” She says and pauses for a second. “You can live here if you help me clean up the diner.” She says and I look at her with hopeful eyes.

“Really?” I breathe out, holding my breath.

“Yes, Darling.” She says and I jump up. I run to her and bring her in for a big hug.

“Thank you, so, so, so much!” I say and she laughs rubbing my back.

“You’re welcome!” She says and I dance around singing! We then get back to our jobs of cleaning for a few more hours.