Chapter 27

Are y'all ready? I don't think y'all are ready 😏 - Daytra

•👻•

Harley's attempt to quietly sneak into the mansion failed miserably. I was already sitting at the bottom of the staircase, waiting for her to come home.

It was three in the morning and I'd been worried out of my mind for the past few hours after she disappeared from the club, not telling anyone where she was going or who she was with. She didn't answer my phone calls and her location was off so naturally, I assumed the worst.

In my line of work, a target on my back means there's a target on the back of those I love.

And there is always a target on my back.

I was worried sick, running through a million different gruesome scenarios in my head.

I thought she was dead.

"Vi? Hey..." She trailed off, her eyes wide and as she stared at me in surprise. "What are you still doing up?"

Way to deflect, Harley,

"I was too busy worried about you. You left the club and didn't tell anyone where you were going and you weren't answering my calls. Where were you?"

Harley, Jacob, and I made a rule years ago that we'll always inform each other when we're going somewhere. None of us ever faltered.

Except for now.

"Can you relax, Vi? It's not that big of a deal." Harley shrugged it off.

Not that big of a deal?

This is the fucking mafia! Of course it's a big deal!

"You're joking, right?" I said with a straight face. I stood up and walked over to her, stopping a few feet in front of her.

Harley couldn't even make eye contact with me. She knew she was wrong.

"No, I'm not."

I was trying to keep my composure, but she wasn't making it very easy.

"Oh. It's not that big of a deal, right? Look around you, Harley. This isn't a fucking game! This is real! I was worried out of my fucking mind. I didn't know if you got kidnapped, if you were dead, or if you were unconscious in a ditch somewhere—"

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. You were finally enjoying yourself and I didn't want to interrupt you."

"Two seconds. That's all it takes for you to tell me where you're going. Two seconds," I mumbled. "Don't ever do that again, Harley. This is a dangerous world filled with dangerous people."

Harley nodded and put her hands up in surrender, "I won't. I promise."

Harley's mouth spread into a wide grin. She opened her arms and stepped towards me, wrapping them around me and squeezing me tight. She rested her head on my shoulder, "Am I forgiven?"

How could I ever stay mad at her?

Harley did some really stupid things sometimes, but she has a heart bigger than the sun itself. She means well, I know. Sometimes, I think she just forgets the world we live in isn't all unicorns and rainbows.