Chapter 7

The next few days passed in a blur. Jeremy had no idea where he stood in all of this anymore. He always got himself caught up in some drama or other and the others would be there to pull him out of it. Elena had been kidnapped after the Masquerade ball and ever since she had come back she'd been more withdrawn - paranoid even. He wondered what happened when she was taken but she wouldn't tell him.

He had asked Bonnie but she hadn't told him, neither had Caroline or the Salvatore brothers. He couldn't help but wonder to himself if it had something to do with Klaus or 'the originals' as the gang liked to call them. He hoped that it never had anything to do with him but his name had been whispered around especially with his sister and her group. And Klaus had been keeping secrets from him..

He just hoped that it would be over soon. He wished that people would stop keeping secrets from him as that made everything worse than it already was. It was one day when everything fell apart once more. He was blasting music through his headphones when he heardbanging on his door. He groaned internally and rolled his eyes and went towards the door, ready to complain when he opened it to his sister.

She looked shaken up and he raised his eyebrow. "Are you OK?" he asked, looking at her somewhat suspiciously. Elena nodded her head rapidly and said breathlessly while running her hand through her hair, "Yeah, Jenna said that she needs help with the boxes."

Jeremy had heard something about a man doing research in Mystic Falls and so it was obvious that he decided to go to one of the founding families for information and sources. After all, they would be deemed as credible. He nodded his head in reply and he was about to go downstairs when he caught sight of Elijah. He looked at him dead in the eyes and then the memories came back to him like a freight train, almost making him stumble. He looked so different - but it was definitely Elijah. His older brother from his past life.

He stammered, holding onto the doorframe. "Elijah?" he breathlessly asked and the suited original wasted no time in grabbing him and throwing him into his room, slamming the door behind them, eyes burning. He couldn't believe his eyes. He thought that Klaus was joking when he told him that their brother was reincarnated as the doppelgangers. But here he was standing in the flesh. Elijah didn't know what to think. He didn't feel angry - he just felt confused.

He thought that everything was lost and was prepared to make Klaus pay. Maybe there was hope for him after all. He stayed silent and just crushed the male close to his chest, his eyes brimming with tears. His little brother was here. "Henrik," he whispered, his voice husky with emotion. He cradled him in his arms like a mother would do to her child, running his fingers through his hair, still in utter disbelief that he lived. He brought him to his bed and cuddled him close, breathing in his scent and enjoying his presence after more than a thousand years.

"You live," he whispered reverently as if it was a dream. He felt if he blinked he would disappear, so he looked at him unblinking. He had been affected greatly by his death, just like all his other siblings but Klaus was the most broken of them all. Jeremy was still in shock, taking his time to breathe. "Niklaus never told me about you.. I thought that you were dead," he admitted, playing with the sleeves of his hoodie. "He has been keeping secrets from me. Everyone has and I don't really know what's going on anymore." Elijha had never been so angry. If he wasn't angry before, he was definitely angry now.

he continued, looking out of the window. "But whatever he's keeping away from me, it must be a good reason. Hopefully everything is over soon. I'm sick of being left in the dark" he admitted, hoping that Elijah would understand. It then hit Elijah in that moment that the teenager had no idea about the ritual and sacrifice. His heart twisted painfully in his chest as if it were coming out. He shook his head rapidly, trying to think rationally. On the one hand he had to tell him. He couldn't be keeping him in the dark about such things, especially when he and his family were at risk.

But on the other hand Klaus would dagger him if he found out. But he didn't care about that right now. Telling him the truth was the most important thing, regardless of Klaus's wrath. Elijah rubbed his temples and took a deep breath before speaking. "What I'm about to tell you is going to shock you" he said honestly. Jeremy moved closer towards his brother who put an arm around him, pressing him into his side. "You can tell me, it's OK" he reassured his brother softly and squeezed his knee, making his heart twist painfully again.

He had no idea what he was about to hear and the thought made him sick to his stomach. But he had to tell him the truth. He owed him that much. First he told him what happened after his death. Then he told them about the immortality spell that their mother placed on them, forcing them into vampires. Then he told them about Klaus's true identity - the hybrid. He then told him about the curse that was forced upon him, causing his werewolf side to become dormant, making him almost mad as he devoted centuries in order to break the curse.

Then finally then leading up to his doppelganger of a sister who was the key to the breaking of the curse, then Klaus would be free. He didn't tell him about their other siblings and what his true intentions were. He didn't think that Jeremy would be able to handle that. He had already told him many deep and dark secrets already for one day. He felt guilty for doing so but he had no other choice. At that Jeremy tensed up with bated breath and shivered.

"So my sister has to die?" he asked in a broken whisper. "Unfortunately so, she's the doppelganger, the key to breaking the curse," he mournfully told him. "What if she had vampire blood in her system before she died? Wouldn't she come back as a vampire instead, meaning that she would survive the ritual?" he asked, leaning up to look at him, hope shining in his eyes, almost making Elijah wince in response.

He learnt how vampires were created from Vicki. She got turned by Damon against her will and ended up dying and Jeremy still hadn't forgotten what he had done. He may have forgiven him, (although he felt that that wasn't his choice to make as Matt was her brother), but he would never forget. Forgive but never forget. That's what he had to learn the hard way since the supernatural had entered their lives. Elijah took a moment to collect his thoughts before speaking once more.

"I'm working on something - an elixir that will ensure her survival but I cannot have any interference. This has to be done properly to guarantee that it will work the way that it should do" he explained finally, trying not to give many details away. By "any interference" he knew that he was talking about Stefan and Damon along with the rest of the Mystic Falls gang. He knew that they would do anything to make sure that she survived whatever was coming at her, especially since the end was so near.

But he had a question to ask. "What happens to me?" he asked at last. He felt incredibly selfish but the thought had been bugging at him ever since he had reunited with Klaus. Elijah knew that the teenager would ask this question sooner or later. If he was being completely honest, he didn't know. Since he had arrived in Mystic Falls, he hadn't had any contact with his brother. He wasn't working with him - he was working against him, but of course he couldn't tell the teenager that. The fact would crush him to peices but it had to be done.

Klaus had to pay for what he did to the rest of his siblings. He couldn't get away with it. He had given him many chances over the centuries but disposing of his siblings was the final straw of his patience with the hybrid. He sighed softly and brought the teenager close to his side once more, running his fingers through his hair, feeling the soft chocolate strands beneath his fingertips.

"I don't know little one, I don't know. But whatever happens, know this -" he made the teenager sit up and made him look at him directly in the eyes. "We love you so much, always and forever" he promised, kissing him on the forehead. "Always and forever," he whispered back.