Chapter 32

Elena woke up and gasped. She had been kidnapped? She tried to move her arms but she was chained up. Her arms were held up by thick chains so she wasn't able to lower her arms down or get any relief from the quickly approaching ache from having her arms held up at an angle. She was thankful that she was able to move her feet at least, but that didn't change the situation that she was in.

She couldn't believe that she had gotten herself kidnapped. She just hoped that Bonnie would be able to do a locator spell for her and that Stefan would come to get her soon after. With that comforting thought in her mind, she steeled herself up for the approaching confrontation.

"Well, well, well, if it's not the latest doppelganger worrying about herself yet again rather than her brother," came the condescending sneer of the Original. Elena gasped and snapped her head up, her heart skyrocketing. She was in trouble now. "Klaus.." she whispered, her eyes filled with fear. Klaus walked further into the cellar, a dark expression in his eyes. "That's me, love" he said in a soft tone of voice but Elena could sense the threatening nature beneath his words. He bent down in front of her, his eyes fixed on hers.

Elena whimpered, shaking her head rapidly, trying to get herself far away from him as possible but she wasn't able to. He was so close to her and she hated it. Where the others? Would they realise that she disappeared. "I did what you wanted," she pleaded, expressing herself with her eyes, looking imploringly at the hybrid. "I gave you blood to create your hybrids!" she continued, practically in hysterics as she tugged at her restraints but they didn't budge.

"You Salvatore brothers have my coffins," he said in a cold tone of voice that was colder than ice, causing Elena to flinch. "But that's not the only thing that they have of mine," he spoke in a smooth, calm tone of voice but Elena knew better than to believe it. "They have my brother locked up. So, in exchange for my coffins and my brother, I've given the Salvatore brothers an ultimatum" he explained and the hairs rose on the back of her neck with every word that he spoke. She willed Bonnie to hurry up and whoever else was out looking for her.

"If the Salvatores do not return my siblings I shall end your life," he said casually. So casually as if her life meant nothing. Elena narrowed her eyes at him. "When they find me, they are going to be so angry and you'll never get your coffins back," she sneered, suddenly needing to get the last word in.

Klaus just chuckled and raised himself up towards his full height, his eyes glinting dangerously at her. "Oh love, I don't think that you should be worrying about my coffins. I think that you should be worrying about the brother that you abandoned" he said icily and Elena's heart sank.

— — —

Stefan growled and kicked one of the coffins violently, cursing as he did so. He had just gotten a threatening call from Klaus. He couldn't risk Elena's life because deep down he did care for her, somewhere in his stone cold being. But the situation had been made ten times worse because of Jeremy. Klaus wouldn't take this lightly. He tugged at his hair and looked around, trying to come up with a plan. He wasn't prepared to give up the coffins.

He needed to use this weaknesses against him as revenge. It was the only thing that he had left and he wasn't going to let it slip through his fingers that quickly. Stefan had been badly treated by Klaus and he wasn't going down without a fight, even if he got hurt in the process. If he was going down, then Klaus would be definitely going down with him.

He took a shuddering breath before looking at his phone then at the coffins. He growled and stomped over towards Elijah's and pulled out the dagger, throwing it away towards the side. If there was one person who could get them out of this mess it was him. He quickly put a few blood bags by his side and waited for him to wake up. He paced up and down, grumbling underneath his breath. "Come on now, any day this century would be nice," he grumbled in a sarcastic tone of voice as he glanced at the open coffin.

He heard a gasp and the tearing of the blood bags and his heart leapt. He decided to wait a few moments before approaching his coffin. "Elijah," he started. "Klaus has—" he didn't get to finish as he had one powerful slap delivered to his face, his head ringing. Elijah was sitting up in his coffin, his usual warm chocolate brown eyes cold. "What. Did. You. Do?" he growled, his vampire visage seeping through. Stefan panicked. How did he know what was going on?

As if Elijah could read his mind, he said : "I had Jeremy enter my mind when I was asleep," he started conversationally but Stefan knew better. He licked his lips nervously and waited for the Original to continue. "It seems like he is being kept inside this very building where you are keeping my siblings," he continued. Elijah calmly stepped out of his coffin, smoothing out his suit, Stefan watching every move. Stefan knew deep down that he needed to watch his step but he couldn't look weak in front of him.

"Where is he?" Elijah asked calmly but there was danger underneath his tone. Stefan shook his head. "Klaus has taken Elena," he started. He hoped that Elijah would have cared about her safely like he had done at the time of the sacrifice. That way he would be on their side. Or so he thought.

Elijah looked blank. "I couldn't care less about the doppelganger who allowed her own flesh and blood to be kidnapped by a pair of arrogant and worthless young vampires who have no respect for the leaders of their own species," his voice dripped with disdain with every word that he spoke, the tone of voice making Stefan flinch. Suddenly Stefan was thrown back against the wall, a hand wrapped around his throat in an iron grip.

"Now, I'm going to ask you again, where is he?" he growled. Stefan tried to speak coherently with the hand around his neck. "He's in the cellar" he rasped and Elijah sped away in a flash, retrieving his brother.

After he had left, Damon came rushing in, his eyes hard. He noticed the open coffin. "Stef what the hell? We needed to use this against Klaus and you ruin everything, yet again!" he shouted, throwing a piece of wood at him which he dodged. Stefan growled, his vampire features on display. "If you hadn't kidnapped Jeremy then Klaus wouldn't be threatening Elena," he spat, his voice dripping with venom. Damon growled and lunged for him, sending him through the gap in the wall.

"Why. Must. You. Always. Ruin. Everything?!!" he roared, punctuating each word with a harsh slap to his face, slamming his head down repeatedly on the ground. Stefan growled and took a large chunk out of Damon's neck, causing him to yell out in agony as his nasty wound began to close up after Stefan had dug his teeth inside. "STEFAN!" he growled loudly, his eyes filled with hate as he rushed towards him but Stefan had gone back into the house where the coffins were. Damon shoved him out of the way.

"We're gonna burn the coffins with them inside" he said with finality, looking around for something flammable and some matches. After digging around, he had found what he was looking for and he gathered all the coffins in the middle of the room, plus the locked one with a magical seal and poured the liquid all over it.

"Damon, no! He'll kill Elena!" he shouted, lunging towards him again but Damon savagely tossed him away, snarling wildly. "Klaus has taken everything away from us and so we're gonna take everything away from him, including Jeremy" he said with a nasty smirk.

"Damon no! You're just going to be getting people hurt!" Stefan desperately tried to get his brother to see his point of view. Damon just shrugged before lighting the match. "Not my problem" he sneered and held the match up towards the coffins, his eyes shining dangerously underneath the light of the single candle.

Nothing could have prepared them for what was going to happen next.

A blur of a suit and then a heart was in a certain suited Originals hand. He almost looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, Stefan," he said, his eyes filled with regret, dropping the heart on the floor, not looking at Damon's desiccated body lying lifeless on the floor. Jeremy looked at the scene in utter disbelief, his eyes wide.

"But nobody hurts my family and lives," he said with a shake of his head, his eyes sad as he held onto Jeremy's hand, rubbing his hand with his thumbs in soothing circles. He nodded his head at the hybrids who had arrived on the scene and they quickly lifted the coffins and into a van which they had arrived in, loading them up.

"I'll let you bury the body," he said softly and with that he left with Jeremy in tow, looking over his shoulder, his eyes filled with sympathy. "I'm sorry," he mouthed. Stefan just stood there, shell shocked. His eyes widened and then tears started to travel down his face, his whole body trembling as he was forced to accept that his brother was dead.

Stefan cried out, his eyes blurting his vision as he fell to his knees, holding his head in his hands as he mourned the death of his only brother.