Chapter 40

It was the morning after the disastrous events at the ball. Rebekah had somehow sneaked off with Stefan after the ball and had come in looking guilty as charged. Kol had teased her to no end while the rest of them laughed at the display of Rebekah throwing her shoe at him as he attempted to remove himself from his sister's assaults.

Jeremy loved it. They were acting like normal siblings, squabbling and bickering like they usually did but they really did love each other. Until Elijah had to dampen the mood and reported back to the group that Esther had disappeared, meaning that the magical seal had been broken.

If Jeremy was being completely honest with himself, he had forgotten about the vengeful mother that they needed to defeat until Elijah had mentioned it. He was so angry. Why did everything bad happen to them? They could hardly catch a break until someone wanted them dead or they were being plotted against. Jeremy wondered where she was.

All he knew was that she was planning on killing them all but how? He racked his brains as he paced up and down the floors of the living room, hands behind his back. He had to think harder than he had ever thought in his sixteen years of life.

Esther had forced Finn to give blood, completing the link around them, then that meant that she had to kill him in order to undo what she had done. Because what happened to one, happened to all. Jeremy felt sick when he realised the truth. But something else bugged him. They were originals. The first vampires to ever exist. That meant that every single vampire that existed in the world ordinated from their bloodline, either direct or distant.

But it didn't matter, because every vampire was related to one original. Jeremy knew that he was closer and closer to the truth but he just had to think. If Esther was trying to get rid of her children who were original vampires...

Jeremy gasped and he could swear that his blood ran cold. She wanted to get rid of every vampire on the earth. "Is this bitch crazy?!" he hissed to himself as he dialed Elijah's number rapidly and told him of the news. Elijah had barely contained a growl and Jeremy shivered from the danger that was underneath it.

"I'll be dealing with it, don't worry" he had said and Jeremy's heart ached for him when he heard the gentle tone but sadness underneath his voice. He sounded so defeated - so unlike the usually strong Elijah Mikaelson.

Currently they were discussing how they should defeat her. "Finn you have to act as if you are going through with the plans," Jeremy rushed out. "You're the closest with her and she wouldn't suspect you," he explained further when he saw the immediate hesitant look on the elder man's face. Elijah nodded his head. "He's right, brother, she would never suspect you," he agreed and the rest of them voiced their agreement.

Jeremy gently reached out and squeezed on his arm comfortingly, giving him some strength. Finn sighed and nodded his head slowly. "OK," he said slowly. He understood why he was chosen and there was no backing out of it.

"I'll go with her when she's ready for the sacrifice and then I'll kill her," his voice wavered at the last part and Jeremy felt sorry for him. He understood how close he was and it ultimately got him tangled in a plot to murder his siblings. "I'm sorry about this," he murmured so that only Finn could hear it. Finn only gave him a watery smile in return but he could tell that the elder vampire was grateful toward him.

Finn knew that the rest of their siblings detested his extremely close - knit relationship with their mother. They always said that it would get him into trouble in the end but he wouldn't listen, thinking that they were wrong. It was only now he realised how wrong he was. But he was determined to do better and to claim his rightful place into their family once more.