Shrunken

Patton was inside the facility when he found Virgil on the ground near the center of the room. He approached slowly and kept his vision locked onto Virgil's form. Reaching down Patton scooped up a now shrunken Virgil into his hand and lightly brushes him awake with the other.

"Kiddo. Hey you need to wake up. Something's happened and I need you to explain it to me."

Patton was shaking slightly, but continued to try his best to remain still as Virgil began to wake up from his slumber. Patton was relieved to see Virgil was okay, but could feel a stinging sensation poking at his heart. He wondered for a moment if this was how Virgil felt when he held him in his hands for the first time. A constant fear of literally having a life in their hands and the impulse of curiosity that swept through the mind as one gazed down at something so small. A need to protect them and to hold them dear. Such conflicting emotions in constant battle could throw any mind into chaos, but Patton knew that for him, he was not going to be feeling this for long. Virgil, on the other hand, had to deal with this conflict all the time. As Patton continued to ponder, Virgil began pulling himself up and sit up on Patton's palm.

"Glad to see you up sunshine!"

Patton tilted his head down towards Virgil and gave him a big smile. Again, he worried that Virgil might freak out due to the peculiar situation and end up hurting himself somehow. Virgil was still groggy, but quickly began to realize what was happening. He first noticed he was now off the cold, hard ground of the facility and was sitting on something soft and warm. Next he saw the shadows of four pillars that were fingers looming over him and that his hand was attached to a massive thumb. Lastly, he recognized that all too familiar voice and craned his head upwards to meet Patton's eyes looking down at him. A shiver ran down his spine in shock at what he was truly seeing. A giant Patton!

"Pat-ton? Wha-what happened to you?!"

Virgil shot Patton a horrified and overly concerned look. He worried that somehow Patton's growth was his fault and was choking at the thought that Patton would be permanently stuck like this. He squeezed his eyes shut at the mere idea and began shaking. Patton picked up on this reaction, but thought it was because Virgil was scared of him.

"Whoa there kiddo, I'm not going to hurt you or anything. It's me see? No need to be so scared, you're safe."

Patton used his free hand to lightly press his pointer finger against Virgil's hair in order to comfort him. Though, just having to say those words caused Patton's heart to tighten. It was no wonder Virgil always acted the way he did when he size-shifted. The thought that Virgil maybe afraid of him was tearing him up inside. Virgil on the other hand opened his eyes slowly at Patton's words. He was confused as to why Patton would ever think he would be afraid of him and thus took the time to observe his surroundings. Finally he came to the startling truth that Patton had not grown, but somehow he had shrunk. Flustered at his misunderstanding Virgil frantically started explaining himself.

 Flustered at his misunderstanding Virgil frantically started explaining himself