Nighttime Stroll

Night had set in as Roman and Virgil exited the fort to go off on their stroll. Virgil was excited to be spending some personal time with Roman and at the same time nervous. Since their bonding exercise last week he had noticed a tremendous change in Roman's demeanor when present. Roman's eyes would sparkle at the sight of him and his voice would become boisterous. Virgil could tell Roman was always looking forward to seeing him and enjoyed his company. So many things had changed for the better, if not suddenly. At times it was difficult to process it all, but nonetheless he was happy.

"I'm glad you invited me out for a walk Roman."

"Of course! Tonight is your night and I intend to make it one for the history books!"

Virgil smiled sheepishly as he slumped his blushing face away from Roman's gaze. Noticeably that they had been walking for quite some time now and grew Virgil curious about where they were headed.

"Where are we going Roman that's so far out?"

"We're headed to a secret spot of mine. You're going to love it!"

A big smile formed on Roman's face as he led Virgil by the hand to a special spot where he loved to stargaze. As they pushed past the foliage, Virgil's view opened up to reveal a wide open valley covered in moonlight. Virgil was in awe at the stunning view of the star filled sky above him. Roman had gone ahead until he reached the center of the field; there he motioned for Virgil to come join him. The cool night air brushing past Virgil's face was refreshing as he walked up towards Roman.

"This place is beautiful Roman." his eyes were still transfixed on the sky in wonder.

"Beautiful indeed."

Roman wasn't looking up at the sky as he spoke, but instead at Virgil. Slowly he slid his hand over and interlocked his fingers now between Virgil's. Surprised, Virgil immediately turned his attention towards Roman as his face glowed bright red.

"You don't like it?"

"No, I-I...it was unexpected is all." Virgil shook his head violently.

He felt silly for overacting about holding hands and tightened his grip. Roman smiled and brushed his shoulder up again Virgil's arm. The two inched closer to one another as they stood silently gazing up at the stars. It felt as if time had stopped as both of them found themselves lost in thought about the other.

"Virgil, would it be alright for you to hold me?"

"Do you mean like a hug?"

Unsure of what Roman meant Virgil shot him a confused look. Roman giggled and lifted up his hand while still attached to Virgil's. Carefully he uncurled his fingers to expose his palm and used one of Virgil's fingers as a pointer.

"Here, I want you to hold me here in your hand." Roman pointed to the center of his palm. Virgil instantly knew what he was referring to now, but was understandably concerned.

"Oh...are you sure? I know we've been having fun with my smaller growth spurts, but this-this is a big leap in size. Are you going to be o-"

"I'll be alright. I trust you completely, also I've even started dreaming about this moment." Did Virgil hear that right?

"Yo-you've been dreaming about me?!"

"You don't need to be so surprised about it! I-It's embarrassing enough to say out loud."

Roman retracted his hands and cupped them together against his chest. He was trying desperately to quiet his heartbeat. Honestly, it was never his plan to reveal such a fact to anyone, more so the person in question. All Roman could do was hope Virgil would make his dream come true.