Reconciliation

It was night when Virgil started making his way out of the window from his room, sneaking past Logan's surveillance drones, and into the surrounding woods. Two weeks had gone by of them discussing, or more like arguing over which of the remaining destabilized giants to go after. Obviously, Roman wanted to save his brother as soon as possible! On top of that Logan supported his wishes based purely on the fact that Remus was closest to breaking apart.

However, Virgil wanted to go for Janus instead. He was the first to destabilize so Virgil thought it only fair and Patton agreed with him. Saying he'd suffered enough of not being able to remember his family for the past years. Yet, there was another reason the anxious side wanted to save him first...Janus's destabilization had been Virgil's fault. He was the one who started it and He had to be the first to end it!

A surprise was waiting for Virgil though, a note stuck to the outside window instructing him to come to the cave on the West side, signed Janus. The timing was uncanny as he stuffed it into his hoodie pocket. Virgil was now alone in the woods making haste towards the obvious trap awaiting him.

Unfortunately, Patton's sixth sense for tomfoolery kicked in as he suddenly woke up. Roman was snoring, Logan listening to his recorded tapes on scientific studies, and Virgil...nothing. Okay, that's weird. Usually his Stormcloud liked to fall asleep to the sound of rain or ocean waves. Pat turned the knob to find it unlocked and then to find no Virgil sleeping within. "Oh kiddo." He whispered, full of disappointment. He flew to the alarm and pressed the button to wake up the others.

"Holy! What, what is it?!"

"Ah! What time is it? Who hit the alarm?"

Patton stood in the hall with his arms crossed in full Dad mode.

"Virgil's gone."

"He's WHAT?!"

"You have got to be kidding me. H-he didn't...you know?"

Patton nodded. There was no way it could be anything else. "He's gone to meet with Janus."

"Are you sure?"

Just then Pat held up a crinkled note. It was the one Virgil thought he stuffed into his pocket, but it fell out while he climbed out the window. Pretty much Virge had made a lot of mistakes despite thinking he was being careful.

"Shit. I'll get my gear on." Roman ran back into his room and Logan followed suit. There was no telling how long it'd been since Virgil had left. They needed to hurry.

----------------

Many Years Ago in the Mindscape

"Big bro Jan Jan!" Janus turned around to find himself being tackled by a slightly shorter side.

"Woah! Hey Virgil!" He smiled sweetly. "Be careful running around like that. What if you got hurt?" Virgie only giggled, "You're such a worrywart Big bro Janus!"

"Well, that is true, I am Protectiveness after-all. I'm here to make sure we stay safe and can protect Thomas when he needs us." He said as he took Virgil's hand. "I'm also here as your all's caretaker my little ball of Curiosity!"

The two used to be so close, just like brothers. Janus was always kind and stoic as he taught and cared for Virgil. He did the same for the other sides as well, since he was the most developed. Morality and Creativity being a little more mature than Virgil, as they all played together. To all of them Janus was like a guardian, despite all being the same age, and they loved him as such, but that did put a lot of pressure on the protective side.

One night, that pressure finally caused him to break. It was late when a strange sound caught his ear. "What was that?" He wondered, getting up from his bed to look down the hall. No one; still there was a slight breeze lingering below his feet. Is a window open or something? A sense of panic started setting in as he ran out to check on the others. Morality? He was sleeping while hugging one of many plushies. Then was Creativity okay? Yep, mumbling to himself about some dream. The last to check on was Curiosity...gone.