Chapter 12: Oops-it makes sense!

24th Feb 2021

"...All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety (taqwa) and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves. Remember, one day you will appear before Allah and answer your deeds. So beware, do not stray from the path of righteousness after I am gone.." -Prophet (s.a.w) in his last sermon

Chapter 12
Oops-it makes sense!

"Hey Oli, look who's up! Say hi to Ms Grumpy!" Rayhan said waving the paw of his new pet kitten at Shazin as she came fumbling down the stairs sleepily, trying to catch some breakfast before school.

"Sshh...No talk. Monday morning. I hangry," Shazin warned rubbing her eyes while walking to the couch and plopping down into the comfy cushions with a bowl of chocos and milk.

If it weren't for her sleepy-slash-hangry state, Shazin would have made sure to capture the adorable scene before her. Rayhan was sandwiched in between with Oliver–the kitty–perched on his one leg and Zeeshan atop the other while Omar had one tiny lazy leg on Rayhan's lap as he laid down sipping his feeding bottle like a boss which he would take off only every five minutes to yell "Maaazyyy!!" along with his brother every time a particular cricketer's face appeared on the screen and Rayhan would look at them proudly as though he had raised them right.

Rayhan had lured the twins into the world of cricket pretty early on in their life that they now find it easy to yell random cricket terms while the almost three-year-olds haven't even called Shazin 'didi' yet. Shazin, on the other hand, unlike her brothers, knew nothing more than the fact that cricket required a bat and ball to be played.

"Hey, Shaz, why don't you settle into something more comfortable...umm, I don't know, like a coma maybe?" Rayhan asked with an innocent shrug to which Shazin had barely any energy to respond.

"Why don't you shut your cakehole before I convince mom to throw away your lil feline there," Shazin said pointing at Oliver.

"He has a name," Rayhan said offended as he pulled the furry bundle of joy closer to him. Rayhan had found his innocent furry love wounded and alone on his way back home from college. It was love at first sight. God alone knew what new level of drama he had to unlock at home to let Oliver stay with him.

"Right. Sorry," Shazin apologised, "Lemme rephrase, before I convince mom to throw Mr Oliver out of here."

"The entire house reeks of your jealousy. Shoo, don't put your evil eyes all over my pur-fect buddy and me," Rayhan said proudly.

"Oh make no mistake, the only thing that stinks here ever since you came are your farts. Get a grip," Shazin retorted scrunching her nose. "Ugh, I think I may need therapy to get the smell out of my head."

"Wow. Real mature," Rayhan said waving off the insult. "Pur-haps you should consider the paw-sibility that you are just jealous Khala allowed me to bring in a pet while she's otherwise totally against one in this house."

"Oh you mean how you got all teary-eyed, snotty-nosed and begged her to let Oli stay and she grunted a yes in response?" Shazin mocked, "And stop with those puns. They aren't funny!"

"Well, it worked, didn't it? And oh paw-don me, you don't like my puns, maybe you should lose some of that cattitude you got there."

"Ah! I swear it's like talking to a brick wall," Shazin mumbled throwing her head back on the couch.