Chapter 24: Ghost of You

7th March, 2022

A/N: sorry for the long wait! It was a combination of a lot of things that lead to the delay like my device bailing out on me, contracting covid, exams, assignments and writer's block to mention a few 😁

So, sorry again, I hope you enjoy the chapter!

"O soul that are at rest! Return to your Lord, well-pleased (with him), well-pleasing (Him), So enter among My servants, And enter into My garden." (Quran, 89:27-30)

Chapter 24
Ghost of You

-1 year later-

"That was crazy! Like in to the sane, INSANE! Wooo!" Samah yelled.

"Agreed," Hamish nodded, but boy oh boy, what stands out even more is how great you smell bruv!" Hamish told Yazdan in shock as the boys took a break from the game.

"Wow that's two words I never thought I would hear in one sentence," Yazdan admitted.

"No seriously, we have been playing our backs off for two hours straight and you are suspiciously smelling alright. What perfume is that?" Hamish said taking another deep breath, "Took me right back to grade 2!"

"You say it like we have been running marathons in the Olympics," Yazdan said downplaying the praise just for Hamish to probe more.

"Oh don't you dare do babyflot dirty like that!" Zach said offended that Yazdan didn't consider it a real sport.

"Brother, it's called foosball," Yazdan explained calmly for the bazillionth time.

"Yeah, go tell Mr Lucien Rosengart that," Zach scoffed.

"Is he alive?" Yazdan asked gracing his friend with an eye roll.

"Nope," Zach replied simply.

"Then, how do I-" Yazdan began.

"Exactly."

So, this is what boys are like when the wifi is down...?

"Anyhoo, to answer your question, that's just the beautiful stench of my sweat," Yazdan answered Hamish, trying to bring back the topic.

"Did you know-" Sam began enthusiastically.

"Oh here we go-" they all chimed in unison.

"-that sweat is just bacteria farting?" Sam concluded, happy to spread his wisdom.

"Thank you, Sam. That was of utmost beneficience," Zach replied, "Hams, that's his mom's deodorant. I know that cos I gifted it to her and apparently this guy here is a klepto."

"And you know this how?" Yazdan asked offended, "When I stole your heart away?"

"Nope. When you kept stealing my chocolates I have in my fridge," Zach replied monotonously, "Oii Sammy, where are you lost, my boy?" He called Samah who was deeply lost in thought.

"I was thinking about how certain smells just transports us back in time," Samah answered.

"Ha ha. I'll tell ya, mate," Zach took his opportunity to flaunt right as it came, "Lemme just summon my inner Hami. Okay, so it's actually because the thingy that percieves our sense of smell in the brain is physically connected to the little hippopotamus in our brain which is responsible for keeping memories. So next time you are at a bakery and the smell transports you back to your grandma's when you were 8, remember me and my lil hippo."