Chapter 10: A Slippery Road

27th December 2020

"..Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves... " (13:11)

Chapter 10

A SLIPPERY ROAD

"... And then I'd like to thank YouTube for all the free lessons I got, and my perfect internet connection for always being there for me when I needed it, thank you so much. And next, to my neighbour aunty who cooks me nummies during my study hours to keep me motivated, and finally the other neighbour's dog for not barking while I study. I'd also like to thank Umi for simply existing and being the most gorgeous thing ever without even trying, and Sam for being the bestestest person alive. And finally woaaaah Hami, you BLIND for real, bruv!" Shazin said bringing her speech to an end, hastily removing the specs she had borrowed (stolen) from Hamish.

Barely two weeks after the elections, their school was already drowning them in midterm exams. And while others were concerned over the upcoming Math exam, Shazin was focused on having finished her nightmare of an exam-Social Science. As they sat in their special hub in the school ground under the tree, Shazin had the immense urge to express her gratitude.

"I might have fallen asleep during that one-hour long speech there and forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think I didn't hear my name?" Hamish asked. "Do you have another list written or did you save the best for the last?"

"That's funny 'cause your name ain't on ma list, silly," she laughed moving on.

"Hey, hey! What do you mean I'm not in there! I seriously get no appreciation whatsoever for staying up all night long yesterday and teaching you?? And whoever asked you to put on my glasses in the first place, and no, before you say it, you don't look smort," Hamish said defending his baby glasses.

"Aww dang, I thought it made me look cool! And no, YOU should be punished for teaching me such bad habits. You should equip me to fight my own battles! So no appreciation for you!"

"Yeah, the next time you call me in the middle of the night crying, I'll remember EXACTLY that," he retorted.

Shazin smiled cheekily.

"You know you're the best," she mouthed at him.

"I thought you thought I was the best!" Sam choked on his orange juice.

"I have no idea why y'all pretending like we graduated. We aren't even halfway through the final year!" Humaira said.

"Such a spoilsport! Whatever happened to celebrating the little joys of life?" Shazin asked batting her eyelashes.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this, but for once in my life, I agree with that thing," Hamish said pointing at Shazin. "We often forget to be grateful for our little gifts and achievements in life."

"Talking about achievements, when's you know who coming home?" Sam asked leaning in.

"You know you aren't supposed to mention her!" Shazin said aghast.

"That's why I said you know who."

"Yeah, and because I know who, it upsets me," Shazin said aghast, "Why Sam, whyyy, I was doing so welllll. I thought we agreed not to talk about this!"

"Come on Shazin, it's been a while," Hamish tried reasoning. "You haven't even heard from Liyana-"

Three gasps followed at the mention of her name.

"You broke the code! You said her name!" Shazin replied with a sense of utter betrayal.

"That isn't even her real name! I mean ugh-I can't believe you are not backing me up here Humair!" Hamish said turning around from his seat to look at her with his shocked Pikachu face.