Chapter 15: A Day with Mr Environmentalist

17 June 2021

Indeed, Allah is the cleaver of grain and date seeds. He brings the living out of the dead and brings the dead out of the living. That is Allah; so how are you deluded? (6:95)

Chapter 15

The bell rang, signalling the end of Shazin's sleep and oh, of their language class as well. As the teacher and the students left the class in a rush, the group remained back deciding on spending the recess in class as it was their bring-food-to-class day or rather bring-random-things-and-ultimately-eat-from-the-sibling's-tiffin-cos-aunty-is-an-amazing-chef-day.

While Shazin munched on some Aaloo Parata while completing her notes, Hamish and Samah were engaged in a heated game of catch and throw with a paper ball. Humaira paced around the room, groaning every five seconds because her assignment partner had ditched her.

"I don't have a chill pill Umi, but I'm telling you, your mom's hands are a blessing, so are her parathas. So why don't you take one of them while the guy takes his sweet time to come? Don't worry, he has to come. If not, I promise to drag his sorry ashu here cos we need him today."

"I swear if he's out there dancing while I-ah, there he is, good morning sunshine, or should I say good afternoon?" Humaira asked mocking Yazdan as he came sprinting into the room looking disoriented.

"Oh hey Ums, I'm so sorry. Let's get to it," he said rubbing his eyes.

"Is that it? No explanation?" She demanded.

"I had some stuff to do?" Yazdan replied unsurely.

"Woah woah, your pants are on fiaaah," Shazin accused in a sing-song voice.

"Why cause I'm a liar?" Yazdan asked rolling his eyes.

"Aha! Someone's getting sharper," Shazin complimented.

"Can't believe I'm still hanging out with you." Yazdan sighed.

"Try that again but say it like you mean it," Shazin commented.

"You are so full of yourself! Stop annoying me right in the morn--afternoon, I just got here! Go awayy," Yazdan whined.

"Yeah, like that. But go a little lighter on the condescending tone," Shazin replied.

"Objection. Badgering the witness," Samah said in defence of the accused handsome friend, not peeling his eyes away from the game.

"What's wrong with him?" Shazin mouthed at Humaira. It was the third time he was mentioning court based terminologies that neither he nor any of them fully understood.

"Objection overruled," Humaira said rolling her eyes at Samah and then turned towards Shazin in reply, "the kid prolly saw some new series, now all he talks about is weird law stuff, last week he was a detective, guess he's a lawyer now," Humaira said shrugging as though it was the most natural thing to happen.

"I told you to be here 15 minutes early Yazdan, not double the time later," Humaira added, walking to her desk.

"Sorry, ma'am. I'm here now, so why don't we get past the whole boring blaming me part and skip to the juicy doing the assignment part," Yazdan asked wiggling his eyebrows with fake enthusiasm.

"Yeah and this time try ACTUALLY doing it rather than motivating me from a distance?" Humaira suggested.

"You got it," he said catching the ball Samah threw his way. A look from Humaira was enough to drop the paper ball and get started with the work. Poor sweet Humair could be a real nightmare when it came to assignments.