Chapter 16: Celebrations and 3 a.m Thoughts

4th July 2021

Dedicated to miracle_zky for her constant support.

Thank you🥺💜 Hope you enjoy this chapter!💙

And it is He who has made the night and the day in succession for whoever desires to remember or desires gratitude (Holy Qur'an 25:62)

“And He gave you from all you asked of Him. And if you should count the favors of Allah, you could not enumerate them. Indeed, mankind is [generally] most unjust and ungrateful.” (14:34)

CHAPTER 16

Celebrations and 3 a.m Thoughts

"Okay class, meet y'all on Monday. Have a fun weekend!"

"We sure will...after completing the 394 assignments due for Monday," Shazin mumbled as she picked up her books, ready to dump it all in her bag, call it a day and head home without further drama. The week had drained her in all ways possible with the exams smirking at them from the corner. She craved for nothing more than the warmth of her bed. No more human comtact for the rest of the week, please!

Since Shazin and her friends had separate classes during the last hour they had decided to meet at the parking lot. As she walked out of the classroom, she willed her thoughts to go anywhere but near the impending doom that were the final exams. Her face however brightened as she recalled that it was finally time to carry out her secret little weekend tradition.

Time to meet Mr. Handsome!

At least that was her nickname for the uncle (a.k.a Mr. Smiling uncle) whom she had been secretly helping out for the past couple of years.

Even as tired as she was, her heart leapt at the thought of seeing him and his gem of a granddaughter. She made her way to the alley beside the school compound where he usually sat playing with little Mia.

Her face fell when she saw that neither Mia nor her grandpa was present in their usual spot. She lurked there for a while longer before giving up.

Shazin sighed and turned around, dragging her feet back. Seeing them would have made her day ten times better. Well, better luck next week.

"Oyy A-cakes!" She heard a voice on her way back.

"Hey," she replied dejectedly.

"You good?" Yazdan asked perplexed as he joined her, "No snarky remarks today?"

"Too tired and way too sleepy to scrounge my brain for comebacks," she replied suppressing a yawn as she walked to the parking lot with him.

To be honest, she had missed him. They hadn't been spending as much time together and strangely as she wanted them to get closer, he seemed to get more and more preoccupied. She didn't want to spend their only time together biting his head off for every little thing. Being called 'A-cakes' didn't even bother her anymore. In fact, not being called that obnoxious nickname did. She felt that he was distancing himself from not just her, but everyone else as well. Sometimes it felt as though he just shut everyone out and withdrew into his safe bubble. Or maybe it was just her overthinking things.