CHAPTER 3: More Surprises

11 September, 2020

"And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah - then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent."
(Qur'an-65: 3)

***

"Zera, for the love of God, I ask you to keep your mouth shut."

"No can do. What else am I supposed to dooooo, I'm so bored..." Zera whined, while playing with the braid of the girl seated in front of her.

Despite Shazin's perseverant attempts at checking off her college bucket list, there was one thing she had yet to achieve, perhaps one of the hardest ones, to go a week without getting tossed out of a class and losing attendance just because Zera couldn't keep her antics to herself. And the girl wouldn't just drown alone but drag Shazin as well on her path down. All Shazin wanted was a good 80% attendance, so that she could use the rest to peacefully sleep at home. Was that too much to ask for?

"Hey Shaz,"

"Pssst!"

"Hey! Don't ignore me!"

"Listen, Oii!"

Shazin pretended her crazy friend did not exist, and continued taking tiny sips out of her water bottle.

"Alright, don't look at me then, answer this, what did one cell say to his sister cell that stepped on his toe?" Zera asked on purpose knowing it would provoke a response, "mitosi-!"

Before Zera could have completed it, Shazin errupted into laughter while awfully trying not to spit out or choke on the water still in her mouth.

All the commotion drew attention to them as they professor asked, "Is there something funny going on back there? Would you like to share it with the rest of the class?"

Shazin quickly apologized hoping to God she doesn't get kicked out while Zera sniggered at her mischievously.

"You little fish, that's it! Try all you want, I'm dissolving our friendship, that's it, we are so done!.....for today, um, or for one whole lecture, better yet for ten whole minutes!' Shazin said crossing her hands over her chest, trying to look angry.

"Somebody really has to teach you the art of negotiation," Zera said laughing under her breath.

"Hushh you two! Stop bickering like children, take these," Aradhya said slipping two chocolate bars under the desk, "Shazin, eat it and go to sleep or listen to the class, sir doesn't like it when you make noise but he's fine with you sleeping and Zay, eat it cos you are not you when you are hungry," she concluded winking.

"Oh dear Lord! When am I ever me then? I'm always hungry!" Zera deadpanned, ready to spiral into an existential crisis.

Thirty five minutes later, they were saved by the bell, and not surprisingly Zera was the first one out the door. They met with Saba halfway as she finished her Math class and together they headed over to the canteen. Zera payed no heed to anybody's chatter as she scrambled towards the counter to order her food.

"What? Don't judge okay, I get hungry," Zera answered the unspoken question while the three of them stared at her.

"Yeah I know what hunger is Zay, moreover we just had the chocolate Aari gave us!" Shazin said poking her.

"Nawa oh! You all had a chocolate party and didn't deem it fit to invite me?!" Saba looked at Aradhya accusingly, "them I understand, but et tu brute? "