Chapter 13: A Group-Walk Down the Memory Lane

21st May 2021

Note: pls take sufficient breaks between the chapter. Finish off any other work you have before reading the chapter. Happy reading💜

Chapter 13
A Group-Walk Down the Memory Lane

"Nah man, I'm telling you, it was a nightmare," Hamish said blowing out a shaky breath with his eyes widened, "she kept following me around at night with those big googly eyes and scary baggy white clothes."

"Oh come on, it can't have been that bad. What was she like, five?" Yazdan scoffed. "I mean I get if you were talking about the present-day Shazin."

"Hey, whatchu guys talking about?" Ala cut in. All three of them were casually walking into class when their teacher called them to help rearrange the break room for a meeting later in the day.

"About his repressed trauma," Yazdan said picking up a box. Ala raised an eyebrow.

"About the sleepovers they used to have as kids. Shazin loved dressing up in all white and knocking on his door ominously only to stare at him evilly and then go back to sleep. And this little baby is still traumatised by it," Yazdan elaborated.

"Dude, kids at night can be scary. Show some empathy," Hamish defended himself.

"Alright. Here you go then. Aww, wash my widdle baby shcared?" Yazdan said pouting and attempted to ruffle Hamish's hair which the latter was quick to swat away.

"Okay, I did not wanna hear or see that on an empty stomach first thing on a week-day morning," Ala said looking away and Yazdan smiled goofily.

"So tell me H, tomorrow is the BIG day, huh? what's the plan?" Yazdan asked turning his attention back to Hamish.

"Oh, good thing you asked. It's gonna be grant," Hamish said referring to his birthday plans. "Gonna put on my favourite pair of pants and watch Disney all day long. Wanna join?" He added wiggling his eyebrows.

Yazdan gasped and reciprocated the gesture with the brightest of smiles while clutching his heart, "Thought you'd never ask," he breathed out to which Hamish responded with a cheerful double eye wink.

"Wow. I'm so J right now," Sam said, appearing from behind.

"And I so wanna gag right now," Ala said making a gagging face.

"While we are still on the topic of sleepovers, tell me, how's your mom doing and how was her umpteenth sleepover with Shazin?" Hamish asked ignoring Ala's comment.

"Ugh, don't wanna talk about it," Yazdan said face-palming himself.

"Okay then, if you don't want to–"

"You know, they have basically adopted each other. I feel like some weird third wheel in my own house now," Yazdan started.

"Okay, here we go," Hamish mumbled to himself.

"And about mom, well...she's still the same, hopefully, the meds work this time. Or I'mma change the clinic, I have been saving up from my part-time jobs and I think I can afford better treatment for her now. Anyhoo, back to bitchin' about Shazin, she strolls into the house like it's her own. Mom barely acknowledges my presence in the house anymore when she's there. She no longer even braids my tiny hair! That mother-stealer!" Yazdan expressed his fake rage with a passion.

"Well, now you know how it feels," Hamish said sighing, equally dramatic about his brother's sorrow. "I think this is a well planned serial crime pattern we are observing here. First, she establishes herself in an area, then she scrounges for healthy beautiful moms with even more beautiful sons and then–uno momento," Hamish paused himself, holding up his forefinger as he reached for his phone with the other hand as it vibrated in his back pocket. He instantly grimaced when he saw the caller id.