Chapter 5: Noodles and Drama

26 September, 2020

And it is He who sends down rain from the sky, and We produce thereby the growth of all things. We produce from it greenery from which We produce grains arranged in layers. And from the palm trees – of its emerging fruit are clusters hanging low. And [We produce] gardens of grapevines and olives and pomegranates, similar yet varied. Look at [each of] its fruit when it yields and [at] its ripening. Indeed in that are signs for a people who believe.” (Qur’an, 6:99)

Chapter 5

Shazin jogged her way back, constantly looking over her shoulders to see if she was being followed. When she observed that the coast was clear, she sighed in relief and bent down momentarily, placing her hands over her knees to catch her breath. She resumed her journey back and soon the familiar house came in view. She dashed to the entrance, heading straight for the couch. Plopping down on it, Shazin did her victory dance, half awake and half hallucinating.

"There she is," Her mom said, one hand on her hips and the other holding a spatula. "How did you bounce back in here so fast? And where are those two?"

Shazin was dragged out of her house at six a.m by a very sleepy looking Humaira and her overly enthusiastic brother for a run in the park. He had planned on dragging his lazy sister to breath in the morning air while she inturn dragged Shazin along since she did not wish to suffer alone. While both of them equally abhored the idea of letting go of their sleep, they couldn't say no to Hamish. So,
Shazin unwillingly carried herself to the park pumped with zero motivation and started panting even before they had began the jog. She called for a two minute break to stretch, ignoring Hamish's pikachu face and asked the siblings to continue without her. Once she made sure the siblings were out of sight, she made a run for it and dashed back to her house.

Was she happy about what she had done?
No.

Was her health in excellent condition such that she could afford lazing around like she did all day?
Also No

Was she supposed to listen to Hamish?
Yes.

But would she?
Probably not.

Breaking away from her internal monologue that seemed to be headed nowhere, she looked at her mother who was still in excellent shape considering she was closing in on her 40s while Shazin who was still a teenager looked like a homeless drug-addict with constant body aches who had just crossed her 70s.

"How do you do it mom?" Shazin asked sleepily.

"Do what?"

Shazin tried repeating her question but all she saw was a baby elephant dancing around the stars in the sky while a giraffe on the ground who was eating off a tree, stretched it's long neck to eat the baby elephant.

"Shazin? Shazin?"

"No! Don't eat him. Take my burger instead..please..spare him.."

Rushing back to flip the pancakes, Rene left her daughter on the couch while she mumbled gibberish and laughed to herself in her semi sleepy state.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference. God grant me the patience to look after my uncanny family," Rene silently prayed looking at the now burnt pancake hoping she doesn't make the same mistake of being late to make the right decisions when it came to her family.

Meanwhile Shazin lay on the couch, with a victorious smile adorning her face. "Yeah! Beat his ash, Baymax!" She mumbled.

Seems like our little elephant survived from the deadly mammal eating giraffe after all!